Trouble with 496 HO! >

Trouble with 496 HO!

Notices

Trouble with 496 HO!

Old 10-10-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble with 496 HO!

I've got a 2004 496 HO thats setting off the warning buzzer every 60 secs from idle up to 4600 rpm. If you accelerate hard or go over 4600 the alarm is constant until you return below 1500 rpms. Then it returns to the every 60 sec beep. The smarcraft guage displays the engine icon and bell icon flashing on the screen. All gauges are normal and the drive bottle is full. Any ideas?
Old 10-10-2004, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Trouble with 496 HO!

I had a similar problem with one of mine. It turned out to be a bad oil pressure sending unit. Easy fix. Put a DDT on it to see what code it is sending. That will tell you.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Re: Trouble with 496 HO!

Just so you 496 owners know, Rinda Technologies in Chicago sells a simple DDT scan tool you can hook up to your harness and read any trouble codes. It will also let you clear the codes when the problem is cleared or repaired.
I am sure a visit or two to your dealer, plus your time to take the boat in will cover the cost about $300 real quick.
Ray @ Raylar
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Registered

Thanks Raylar! Called them and the price is $399.00 plus $39.00 for the PCM 555 adapter. Just gonna swing buy a dealer and have them read the codes.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

I agree with Raylar, having the scan tool will save you allot of headaches, and money in the long run. There are way to many faults that can give you the warnings you are talking about to make an educated guess. I recomend this for anyone who has a PCM 555 engine. Mercury also has a PCM 555 service manual, I believe is manual #33, that has been useful in troubleshooting. Since having this engine I have had to replace, an IAC valve, waterpump, and a MAP sensor. All showed up on the scan tool as hard faults. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Registered

Hooked up the DDT today and heres what was on it.

Fault Active menu

Pitot CKT LO Yes
Fuel LVL CKT HI Yes
Steer CKT HI Yes
Fuel LVL2 CKT Yes

Freeze Frame Buffers

0- Fuel LVLL2 CKT H
1- Steer CKT HI
2- Fuel LVL CKT HI
3- Pitot CKT LO
4- IAC output
5- Crank SNSR
6- Cam SNSR

Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:08 PM
Registered

Alli,
0- Fuel LVLL2 CKT H
1- Steer CKT HI
2- Fuel LVL CKT HI
3- Pitot CKT LO
These are codes that will always show up being they are unused in most set-ups. None of these are engine related. These would be used for fuel tank levels, speedometer, and steering position. They will always show faults because they are generally not hooked up. They are also not tied into the guardian, or warning system.

However, these can very well cause a problem.
4- IAC output
5- Crank SNSR
6- Cam SNSR
I just recently had the IAC output fault myself, resulting in an IAC motor change. About 70 dollars. But before I went there, I would erase the codes and try it again. In my case the IAC was an active fault at all times. None of the active faults you have shown will cause the guardian warning. Although I have heard people having a hard Crank, or Cam SNSR fault, requiring replacement, I have not yet to come across this as a hard fault, but I will get these this faults locked in on occasion. This tends to happen on occasion during engine start, and lock in a code, but generally has not given me a hard fault causing a warning. I might see this 2-3 times a year. My bet would be with the IAC motor. But being it is not an active fault it may just be sticking, and need cleaning. It is mounted above the bell housing on the back of the motor that has a hose that runs forward to the throttle body. you can remove the IAC by removing the 2 hex head screws, not the bolts. Then unplug the electrical connector. You do not need to remove the hose, it stays attached to the mounting boss for the IAC motor. Once removed you can verify it with an ohm meter. You should get about 10 ohms. Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:13 PM
Registered

Island Hopper,
Thanks for the info and will try in the am.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Island Hopper,
Pulled the IAC out this morning at its only reading 0.7 ohms. Are you sure that its suppose to be around 10 ohms. My service manual doesn't say anything technical on the sensors.
Thanks!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Registered

Also check the exhaust temprature sensors. I had one go bad on one of my 496HO's and it put the motor in the limp home mode. Replaced the sensor and the problem went away. Less than $50.00 to repair and a lost day of boating priceless.

Keith

Quick Reply: Trouble with 496 HO!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.