Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Notices

Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Old 11-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Anyone know anything about the new Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives .
Old 11-04-2004, 10:41 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Aren't they the all plastic ones

No electrolysis
Old 11-05-2004, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes made like a Glock gun. and yes NO electrolysis at all. They are only offered on volvo small blocks now.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Polymer composite? huh. Interesting.

Are they cheaper?

I run SBCs, and if I have to do drives before I sell this boat.... I'm seriously thinking about the "normal" Volvos (SX?)

They'll fit the transom assy of my OMCs. And they shift so smooth it's strange. Being around alphas for a long time.... I didn't know what smooth shifting was. And they "go both ways" as far as rotation goes.

It will be interesting to follow for the next few years and see how they hold up. Obviously NOT high HP applications.... but hey...
Not everybody is running HO.

If you have any links, pics or anything it would be interesting to see em. Maybe I'll google later.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They Come In Duo Prop Setup Only. They Are Only Used In V-6 & Small Block Applications Up To 320 Propshaft Hp. I Wouldn't Use It On A High Performance Boat But On A Cruiser It Is Very Efficient & Will Increase Performance Considerably Over A Single Prop System. I Have Installed & Run Them, They Are Nice. However You Won't See Me Putting One In My Fountain.
Old 11-06-2004, 07:48 AM
Registered

I know you were asking about the Ocean series but I saw you said something about the SX drive too. I did a bit of research on the Ocean series wheh they came out (they were actually featured in a engineering trade publication I receive)...and since I am techno nerd. I really liked what I saw. Like everyone said they are not meant for super HP applications but the composite (thermoplastic and aluminum )construction is quite nice. I am mechanical engineer by profession and that type of construction is gaining alot of popularity and has many benefits for this type of application. Weight and corrosion being the biggest. With that being said I would do some hard core web research before I spend the dollars just for your own piece of mind. My current boat uses the VP SX drive and I am super happy with it. I use it hard for cruising with the wife and wakeboarding with buddies (approx 300 hrs/year) and it has held up great. From a power transmission engineering prospective it is just far better than the Alpha 1 stuff I owned previously. Volvo is sorta pain in arse to get parts for as compared to Mercury and they try to sell you the end item rather than the piece parts sometimes and that hurts your feelings but I like the products so far very much. My 2 cents.
Mike
Old 11-06-2004, 07:57 AM
Registered

Hey Jim....

Do they use the same transom assy as an OMC like the other Volvo drives?
My boat is actually a cruiser shaped like a performance boat. (It's even a Chris Craft) I have 18 year old OMCs hanging back there. I have twin 260 SBCs with no intention of doing anything that will ever give me more than 260 at the propshaft.

I have less than 20k in my boat. But it's heavy and a wave crusher. I don't do poker runs, but it's nice to be able to take the lake erie chop, and still have a 40-45 mph cruise. I know that I'm not going to convert to alphas, because of the whole transom assy issue, but Volvos were an option if I keep the boat. I was looking at about 3 grand a piece new for Volvo SX drives after my Cobra trade in. So I was looking at about 7k with the drives and the trim kits. (A Volvo dealer said that he would give me 2k trade for each "good" Cobra drive)

Would I even be in the ballpark with the new drives? Or are they more than the "regular" (I think SX?) Volvos?

Here's the resin bucket in question.
Attached Thumbnails Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives-derivera-park.jpg  
Old 11-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Hey Mike... Thanks.... we were typing at the same time.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Registered

ttt....

looking for JIMG
Old 11-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Registered

has it been a week already?

Quick Reply: Volvo Penta Ocean Series Drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.