Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Switching tabs from Insta Trim to 280 K planes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/91325-switching-tabs-insta-trim-280-k-planes.html)

outlawinil 11-29-2004 12:22 AM

Switching tabs from Insta Trim to 280 K planes

Hey guys wanting to upgrade my Insta Trim tabs on my 33 Outlaw to the 280 K-planes. Is this the best choice for this boat with 500 HP's in now? Do I use the Mercury pumps or will the Insta Trim pumps work? I have the round Insta Trim LED tab indicator, will I be able to use this gauge or will I need new indicators?

Biggus 11-29-2004 05:49 AM

Re: Switching tabs from Insta Trim to 280 K planes

1 Attachment(s)
Pick up a set of Trick Marine tabs from Too Old.

I recently replaced my K-Planes with Fred's tabs. They are quite a bit less than K-Planes and much better looking, polished stainless cylinders. I had mine powder coated to match my drives.

Biggus 11-29-2004 05:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another pic. These things are extremely heavy duty and are offered in every color imaginable.

Dave M 11-29-2004 08:34 AM

I prefer mechanical indicators. If you have the dash space. Those that pop up out of the dash are cool.

Audiofn 11-29-2004 08:38 AM

You will have to replace the pumps definatly. The guage you will also have to replace with a Mechanical unit. The Mechanicals can be just for your tabs or for the tabs and drives. You will like them MUCH better then the Guage anyhow. So factor that into the costs as well as cables. You also need to add that into the time of how long it will take to make the swap. I have also seen Biggus's Trick Marine tabs and will agree that they look fantastic. May be a great option to save you some money. I am fairly sure that it uses all the same mounting and indicator hardware as the Merc Units.

Jon

Hi-Tech Marine 11-29-2004 08:48 AM

Go with the TRICK Tabs. Better value for the dollar.

Ed 11-29-2004 09:02 AM

Those TooOld tabs look very nice. The only thing I see that is questionable on the installation is that they have been installed a bit too close to the side of the boat, which will cause water deflection off the sides of the tabs, as water comes around the sides of the rear corner of the transom. This creates a rooster-tail, so to speak. Every boat is a little different, maybe you won't have this problem. After installing a few hundred sets of these, you tend to catch the details, sorry. Ed

Hi-Tech Marine 12-01-2004 08:29 AM

The only comparison between the Trick tab and the K-Plane is in the mounting holes. These usits are far superior and available to match the boat. Fred has done his homework and came up with a great design.