Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   What's the best marine battery? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/91750-whats-best-marine-battery.html)

mcraymond3 12-04-2004 11:46 AM

What's the best marine battery?

I need three new batteries. Which ones should I buy and where?

Infomaniac 12-04-2004 12:05 PM

Re: What's the best marine battery?

Originally Posted by mcraymond3
I need three new batteries. Which ones should I buy and where?

Optima !! blue top. unbeatable.

Most everyone sells them. Interstate, Autozone, Pep boys etc.

Harper220 12-04-2004 12:43 PM

Definitely optima. Try ebay...

Pismo10 12-04-2004 05:34 PM

30+ years boating, own several boats currently, worked in industry, have tried them all and I am embarrassed to say a group 27 or 29 marine deep cycle Sears Die-Hard is the best one I have used. They offer several levels and you must buy the best one offered, around $70-$80. Never have done any maintenance to them, I simply make sure the battery is fully charged after I put the boat away for the winter, never have removed it from the boat, charged once a year before layup, leave it be for the northern New York -35F winters and got 11 seasons out of my last one, 7 out of current one so far. No other battery I have tried has ever come close, several brands were one seasoners, many were three which is not much better. My benchmark is now tens seasons minimum or you can do better. Surprising, very.

carney 12-05-2004 08:30 AM

I must agree wis Pismo 10, Sears Die Hard has held up to all we put them through. Tryed Interstate and broke cells.

alter ego 12-05-2004 04:31 PM

Douglas Marine deep cycle. I have them and they are dependable and affordable. The key to any battery is maintenance. Even "no maintenance" batteries need tlc. Try douglasbattery.com

mcollinstn 12-05-2004 04:47 PM

As long as you use a battery restraint system that uses a foam pad for impact dampening, I say that the best marine battery is an automotive battery (at least as far as you are talking about a starting battery that is not subjected to extended drain cycles while anchored).

I've beat Die Hards into doorstops time and time again in my outboard wave jumpers. And not just Die Hards but also expensive gel batteries and all sorts of miscellaneous marine batteries (Voyagers, Dekas, Interstates).

But when I put 3/4" of closed cell neoprene mat under the batteries, all problems stopped.

And AutoZone gold batteries are some of the most affordable quality batteries out there and they have a 3 yr free replacement warranty.

I use em almost exclusively and have for six or seven years.

Waterfoul 12-05-2004 05:33 PM

Optima hands down. And did you guys know that the same company that makes Optima also makes Die Hard, Interstate, and MANY other major brands? JCI is the largest automotive type battery maker in the world. I work for JCI, and yes I get a discount on batteries. I get my Optimas for about $65 delivered to my door. I can get up to 2 a year, and I buy 2 a year whether I need them or not!! There's always a market for a discounted Optima!!

Oh, and my 2 for the coming year are going in my boat.... sorry!!

hotlavey 12-05-2004 08:02 PM

I have heard great things about the Odyssey Batteries. Very expensive but also very reliable and long lived.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-05-2004 08:27 PM

You gentlemen up North are having much better luck up in the cooler weather than we're having in SE Florida with the Sears battery. I like the Exide 60 down here in a group 31 and Delphi Gold seems to work in the heat too.

Optima is great, but the PRICE!! The SeaRay 380 Sundancer uses 6 group 27. Ouch.