Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Antifreeze (Red or Green) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/92631-antifreeze-red-green.html)

BiggBlok 12-17-2004 07:47 AM

Antifreeze (Red or Green)

There's been talk about putting the Red RVAntifreeze in your boat for winter storage. Outside of propperly disposing of the regular automotive antifreeze, is there any reason not to use that stuff?

HyperBaja 12-17-2004 10:06 AM

Re: Antifreeze (Red or Green)

It is poisonous, you cannot use for any water system that could be ingested, in Ohio it is illegal to winterize with the automotive.

JaayTeee 12-17-2004 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by BiggBlok
Outside of propperly disposing of the regular automotive antifreeze, is there any reason not to use that stuff?

The $$$$, compared to the RV stuff.

Edward R. Cozzi 12-17-2004 05:08 PM

I was told the red stuff was "permanent" antifreeze that was developed for engines with aluminum alloy parts mixed with steel and cast-iron parts. Something about less electrolysis...

formula31 12-17-2004 05:45 PM

Well, ive used and reused the green stuff for years. drain it out in the spring so Im not poisening anything and reuse it in the fall. At $4 at gallon in fall when its on sale, nothing better. The green stuff doesnt turn to snow cones like the other stuff.

Reed Jensen 12-17-2004 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I was told the red stuff was "permanent" antifreeze that was developed for engines with aluminum alloy parts mixed with steel and cast-iron parts. Something about less electrolysis...

The red automotive antifreeze is phosphate free... but I think they are talking about the antifreeze that you put in the drain pipes of your RV That stuff wasn't made to circulate in a cooling system... it's only so the pipes don't freeze.

The Menace 12-17-2004 07:29 PM

It also has no rust inhibitors. For plastic only. But short term winter use would be OK.

RLW 12-17-2004 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by formula31
The green stuff doesnt turn to snow cones like the other stuff.

I have always been leary of the snow cone formula anti-freeze. I am using the purple stuff now (-60F). What's your opinions of dry storage?

Strip Poker 388 12-18-2004 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reed Jensen
The red automotive antifreeze is phosphate free... but I think they are talking about the antifreeze that you put in the drain pipes of your RV That stuff wasn't made to circulate in a cooling system... it's only so the pipes don't freeze.

I call the rv stuff pink. The red stuff came in my new truck .The green I mix with milk for Neighbors cat walks on boat cover leaving fur but He want drink it :eek:

Never heard of the Purple ?whats it?

Reed Jensen 12-18-2004 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by formulaz583
Red -100, cut it 3-1 which is -40. Has rust inhibitors like the green, but not toxic. If you missed some water, when you drained, it will mix with it, and still protect the block. When you cut it 3-1, at $9.00 a gallon, that comes down to $3.00 which is close to the -50 pink stuff that doesn't like to mix with water. Green stuff is a PITA. Besides being toxic, it is slimy, and makes a mess if you spill any or get it on your hands.

My understanding is both red and green formulas are toxic... but the red has a bitter taste and is acrid smelling... whereas the green is sweet and some dogs will lap it up if they find it running on the ground. I remember in the early days of the red antifreeze it was billed as "pet safe" not because it wasn't toxic... but that it's smell and taste was so bad they wouldn't touch it.