Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Basic things about rebuilding an engine? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/92884-basic-things-about-rebuilding-engine.html)

CBlakeNS 12-21-2004 10:54 AM

Basic things about rebuilding an engine?

What are some of the basic things that you have to do, change pistons/rings, rods and what else?

Thanks jsut curious.

dyno 12-21-2004 11:11 AM

Re: Basic things about rebuilding an engine?

tear it all appart....add 10k and wamo you got a new motor.

cstraub69@comcast 12-21-2004 11:38 AM

First and foremost what are your goals?

Chris

CBlakeNS 12-21-2004 02:10 PM

Actually just trying to learn things... and eventually maybe one day I can rebuild a boat motor, ive done plenty of work to little goped motors and nitro rc car motors, but im trying to learn about boats.

ratman 12-21-2004 06:05 PM

buy smokey yunicks book then buy john lingenfelteers book then tear it apart and add 20k cuz your gonna want to make big power after that. there is also a great book on "how to hot rod BBC" it tells you the basics and will piont you in the right direction. ratman

Crazyhorse 12-21-2004 06:19 PM

I've been doing engines for 30 years and I'm still learning.
Read everything you can get your hands on. Then try to sort out the crap from the good information by talking with the people that know what they're doing. You'll know them when you meet them.
By the way, stay away from the clowns in North Carolina that claim to know all about marine engines.

CBlakeNS 12-21-2004 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse
Read everything you can get your hands on. Then try to sort out the crap from the good information by talking with the people that know what they're doing. You'll know them when you meet them.
By the way, stay away from the clowns in North Carolina that claim to know all about marine engines.

Yeah sutphen is also one of the ones that knows little about engines ;)

Heck, I would like to see him learning some stuff about boats when he was YOUNGER, key word---YOUNGER haha

Just playin man.

Swede 12-22-2004 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Crazyhorse

I live in Charlotte and that's easier said than done!!! I've got mine torn apart now and am trying to decide to do. I learn everything off this board I can because a lot of differing advice comes from those NASCAR boys. There is a 454 over at the boat shop right now that someone rebuilt with light weight valves. One of which broke and ruined the engine.

Strip Poker 388 12-22-2004 09:27 AM

Get someone to give ya and old 350 motor just to tear down.Try and find someone near ya and just hang out and watch them go thru a motor. Ya can pick up a lot of stuff this way . stuff ya cant learn in books.

There are alot of good books out on how to Hot rod ,blue print ,rebuild engins etc

CBlakeNS 12-22-2004 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by sutphen30
first,i'm already over the hill at 42,, :D at least i feel like that.i got started at 11yrs old when my dad throw me a chrysler 2 barrel and told me to take it apart.read alot and come up here in the spring time,you can help me rig my boat for the efi whipple motors.then we'll go for a ride.read and then try and apply,,might have to get yourself a part time job at a local small engine repair shop,that will get you the basics.big or small,all the engines work the same,except 2 strokes and wankels,there another story.good luck and take me up on my offer,you won't regret it.

Yeah im gonna try to work at a marina this summer, or atleast that is the plan that I want to do!!

Hopefully I can learn some things if I ever get a chance to watch someone work on a motor up there haha.