Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Speedmaster 4 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/93801-speedmaster-4-a.html)

seabeach 01-06-2005 05:23 AM

Re: Speedmaster 4

My engines are 600hp each and I figure I will need new drives in a year or two, Bravo1 do not last forever...! The #4s have max 100 hours on them with Mercruiser 575s and I have them complete with everything from bellhouse to drive. I am able to do all the work my self but still...?? After listening to the advice in this thread I think I will go for new Bravos, Konrad or #6 and sell the #4s that I have in my garage.

Thanks!

clearcut3 01-06-2005 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by seabeach
My engines are 600hp each and I figure I will need new drives in a year or two, Bravo1 do not last forever...! The #4s have max 100 hours on them with Mercruiser 575s and I have them complete with everything from bellhouse to drive. I am able to do all the work my self but still...?? After listening to the advice in this thread I think I will go for new Bravos, Konrad or #6 and sell the #4s that I have in my garage.

Thanks!

I would call some people like Doller offshore, Martin Marine, & Lipship and ask them if they have any parts availability for #4's. That should help you decide what decision is best for you. I would hate to see someone spend all the time and money and then need parts that are unavailable. Good luck!!

bob 01-06-2005 10:37 AM

I have been running 4's with 900 hp and no problems. Bravos never would have lived. In a surfacing application the Bravo gimbals won't make it. There are certain #4 parts no longer available, as the #5 and also some #6 series. I have a pair of drives at a shop being gone thru. So far I have been very impressed with the #4's. Initially I thought they would be the weak link to the package. I have ran side by side with friends in Black Thunders, Cigs and Scarabs with Bravos and watch them fail while we were on weekend runs. The 4's have been great to me :rolleyes:

R Addiction 01-06-2005 10:45 AM

You haven't run up against any Active Thunders have ya? :D Hey Bob. Are you back in the frozen north?

seabeach 01-07-2005 04:41 AM

Thanks for your input Bob! I think I will try to sell them first , as everyone says its a lot of work involved.....

The Menace 01-07-2005 06:34 AM

Send me pics and a price. I may be interested.

KAAMA 01-07-2005 07:16 AM

If you stay with the Bravo One drives, I would at least have some better aftermarket parts installed in them or buy some spares and them available while on your boating excursions in case one breaks. Max Machine Worx seems to make some good products for the Bravo one drive. You can either buy the parts from them and have a drive tech who you trust do it or you can send the entire drive out to Max Machine and have them install them for you. As for myself, I bought the Max Machine parts for my Bravo XR's, and will have Mr. Gadgets install them for me as blue print, micrometer, fit and assembly are paramount----and I trust him. They can still break, but I think stronger, better designed parts, and highly accurate/precise assembly techniques can make for a longer lasting Bravo drive.

seabeach 01-08-2005 05:48 AM

Expresscat 39, my emails to you are rejected.

RichieD 01-08-2005 05:53 AM

I would like to see them, send some pics an asking price.

z.zuperboat 01-08-2005 07:54 AM

Its funny how everyone says the #4s are no good and to stick with the bravos.A38 CIG is heavy and if you ever want to go with more power the bravos are what you should dump.The conversion is cake.The speedy gimble is large and fits over the bravo hole.No real glass work and the motor moves foward about a foot.I just converted my superboat from a bravo to speedmaster.I think the only down fall is the price of props.Last if there so bad Y are so many people interested in them.