Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   XR Upper (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/9387-xr-upper.html)

Clay Washington 12-26-2001 04:34 PM

XR Upper

Does anyone know of a shop that will install an XR upper?

I currently have a Whipplecharged 502 with a Bravo 3 outdrive. I have broken the floor of the upper gear once. If I break it again, I would like to get a XR upper.

Since the lower unit of the Bravo 3 splits the torque between the two props, I'm pretty sure that the lower will not break. However, the upper gear has a temendous amount of torque applied to it during acceleration.

Please post information about shops that will perform this upgrade.

Thanks!

Clay

BTW, I LOVE MY WHIPPLE! :D

merlin540 12-26-2001 07:10 PM

i can do it call me white oak auto and marine
513-477-2780 or e mail me at [email protected] thanks charlie amann im in cinti oh. :D

rbtnt 12-26-2001 08:19 PM

Can A Bravo One upper be converted to an XR upper?

aTX427 12-26-2001 11:03 PM

Clay,
You should speak to Jim Burns at Regency Marine. He takes care of all my drive work. Honest guy as well. 972-475-0100

Clay Washington 12-27-2001 01:58 PM

LOL, Hey Bad Cat! Jim is my mechanic too. He installed my Whipple on my 502 in March.

I have talked to him, but he couldn't give me any prices, so I thought I would "shop around".

kook 12-30-2001 08:26 AM

There are several places that do the job - not just "putting in a XR upper", but also including a SS tower to keep pinion gear from trying to "climb".
One link, from Mr. Gadgets:

"Give Lenard a call at L&L tech, 520-669-5729. He can upgrade your Bravo 1 with XR gears and do it reasonable."

I think it's something like $3k, including the XR u-joints.

Cattitude 01-23-2002 05:39 PM

"Sterndrivespec" can help- he treated me right- he's got some adds in the outdrives section. Good luck!

THE ANGRY WRENCH 01-23-2002 07:35 PM

Hey Clay i have a question.Why do you have a bravo 3 hooked to a whiple anyway?They are great drives but not made to take killer torque!Why not sell your drive and buy a XR drive?What kind of boat is this anyway?How much HP?Just my opinion guy cause i'm confuzed.
:mad: :mad: THE ANGRY WRENCH :mad: :mad:

Clay Washington 01-24-2002 11:25 AM

I own a Crownline 225LPX.

The Bravo 1 and the Bravo 3 have the same upper. The floor of the upper forward gear has broken on me once. So, if I break it again, I will be looking for an XR upper.

Since the torque is split into prop shafts, I think that the Bravo 3 lower only takes half of the stress as the upper. So, I believe that the upper will break before the lower. Just my opinion.

I love my Bravo 3! I once owned a Bravo 1, and the Bravo 3 has a MUCH better hole-shot and is much better around the dock. Under 75mph, I don't believe that there are any differences in top-end speed.

So, I'll keep my Bravo 3! :D

sterndrivespec 01-24-2002 04:23 PM

you can change the upper to an XR or XZ drive but you have to be careful about gear ratio's.what is the gear ratio of your drive and what pitch prop are you running?there might be a cheaper way to improve what you have

Mbam 01-24-2002 05:26 PM

Clay, we have new XR uppers for $4200. You might find that the regular X (same as XR) upper will do the job for you. It has improved upper gears and the same steel tower in the housing and U joint assembly (as the XR). It is also available in all 3 ratios. We have them for $3600. As Sterndrivespec says, you need to see what upper ratio you need.

Cattitude 01-24-2002 06:55 PM

Marc- how does the regular "X" compare to the XR and XZ- are the housing and tower the same just different gears? I'm curious to know what the differences are. Thanks

Eaton 01-24-2002 07:18 PM

For the guy who recommended Leonard at L&L Tech he may want to keep his hand on his wallet before he gets taken for a ride. Just like everyone else that puts HP to a bravo I was looking for a better alternative. Leonard at L&L said he could have a remanufactured upper case with his stainless steel tower and Imco gears and bearings in a week. After 3 weeks what I received was a nasty used case that had the tower broken out of it prior to Leonard doing a nasty repair job with his tower. To add insult to
injury I proceeded to disassemble the upper case and found that Leonard had assembled the drive with used gears and bearings that were not even Imco upgraded gears or bearings. The pinion gear was so bad it had chunks that had already flaked off the teeth. Thank God I used a credit card and was able to cancel the charges. I feel sorry for the uninformed consumer that would have gotten stuck with this scam. null

Mbam 01-24-2002 08:05 PM

Cattitude, the X and XZ uppers are the same, gears and all. The XR is the same housing with the net forged gears. All have the steel tower.

Cattitude 01-24-2002 10:13 PM

So Marc- It must be that the lower distinguishes the XZ from the X?? I'm pretty sure the XZ has the big shaft and carrier, does the X have the normal bravo lower? Will there still be a basic bravo or will they all be coming as x's and you upgrade from there? Thanks for clearing up the confusion.

aTX427 01-25-2002 12:27 AM

Clay,
You should talk to Jim again. I know he has have been doing a lot of research lately for his Daytona. There is something to be said for working with the guy up the street. I know for sure he stands by his work.

John

Mbam 01-25-2002 08:05 AM

Cattitude, yes the lower is the only differance between the X and XZ.

Nabber 01-28-2002 01:12 AM

Clay,

Just be carefull whom you let ride in your boat. Makes all the difference! :D

Clay Washington 02-03-2002 11:37 AM

So true... So true... :p