Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Trim Tabs Stuck To Transome (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/93873-trim-tabs-stuck-transome.html)

BOB ONEIL 01-06-2005 07:39 AM

Trim Tabs Stuck To Transome

I'm trying to get my trim tabs off the transom to paint. This is a 91 boat so, I guess they are not coming off without a fight. The tab hinge pin itself is seized to the aluminum also so, I don't think this is going to be easy.

Anyone got some good ideas as to how to get these off? Do I dare add heat?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

CIG3 01-06-2005 07:47 AM

Re: Trim Tabs Stuck To Transome

You Cigarette has 3M 5200 adhesive on the tabs. Tough Stuff. You will need to make a couple wood or plastic wedges to get between the metal and glass. try no to pry to much. Once the seal starts to break the job will get easier.

P.S. your manual is coming.

BOB ONEIL 01-06-2005 08:00 AM

Thanks Andrew,

That's what I was afraid of. That 5200 works too good!

The manual should help out tremendously! I'm starting on rewiring the transom. I can hardly wait.

Bob

Biggus 01-06-2005 08:16 AM

Get an electric heat gun and heat up the tab. Once you get the 5200 warm it will start to budge. Be careful not to get things too hot and do damage to the gel coat.

5200 is pretty nasty stuff and if you try to pry them off without heat, you will probably peel the gelcoat and a layer of fiberglass off the boat. Believe me, I've done it. :(

BOB ONEIL 01-06-2005 09:02 AM

That's what I'm worried about. I'm afraid that once you get started there's a point of no return. That's when you pull out the "BIG" wallet, (of which I don't have).

I may just leave the transom part of the assembly on the boat and try to paint it from there.

BTW: Biggus, I remember now, you just did a magazine article right?

kmiller 01-06-2005 09:34 AM

I pulled mine to replace wood core on my scarab and even with the heat I pulled some gell and glass off. I would think twice!!

Steve_H 01-06-2005 10:50 AM

theres some stuff that ive heard will lossen it up. cant think of the name off hand but i have a link to it on my home puter. at work now. ill post it when i get home tonight.

z.zuperboat 01-06-2005 11:49 AM

I used 3 spackle knifes,about 4inches wide,worked them in and sprayed prepsol into the grove and on the knife.It took 3hrs to remove an ext box.did not hurt the gel.Take your time

HiPerf2000 01-06-2005 12:16 PM

3M (who makes 5200), also makes a 5200 remover. Not sure how safe it is for the Gel though.?? You may want to read before you try.

Maybe you should consider taping around it, and spraying it on the boat. I know a few people who have done this with good results.

MLEVEN63 01-06-2005 03:33 PM

I know this sounds to stupid to believe, but I had a bunch of 5200 get dragged onto my bow when I was assemblimg my boat, sat all winter under a tarp and didn't see it for months, all the pros just laughed when I asked what would remove it - "nothing" was the general answer! Guess what worked - natural mineral spirits, lke house painters use- turnd the stuff to a rubbery crud I could roll off with my fingers! no damage to the gelcoat. cheap and easy! not words you often see associated with boats.

Mike