Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Prop Help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/94913-prop-help.html)

MILD THUNDER 01-22-2005 09:31 AM

Prop Help

Sorry, I have another prop question. My current setup is not working too good. I have a 1987 Four Winns Liberator 241. It has a 540, and bravo drive. I was running a bravo 26p labbed prop. I didnt like the handling or top speed. At top end i could trim the drive way up and throw a rooster tail and it still would not blow out. My propshaft is 7 1/2 inches below the bottom of the boat. I was running the 26p bravo to about 4900 rpm and 64-65 mph wide open, fully trimmed. The boat felt loose at that speed. Some chine walk. My 540 makes it peak hp 582 @5500 rpm. Peak tq 615 at 4600 rpm. I know there is more speed and rpms to gain. I want the boat to get closer to 70mph and handle better. I read that the bravo props are not good for low x deep v boats. Plus I think I need to spin the 540 about 600 rpms higher. My question is, what would be the ideal prop? Revolution? Mirage? Mirage plus? Hydromotive? My prop slip is high on the calculator. I think my boat weighs about 5500 lbs.

jpclear 01-22-2005 12:38 PM

Re: Prop Help

I'm sorry, but I really think that you will probably never reach your true potential running that deep. Although not cheap, you might find an IMCO "shortie" a worthwhile investment. In the meantime, I would find some Mirage and Mirage plus props to try. There should be lots out there you could try without having to buy. They will probably give you the best you will see at that height. --- JP

88 MACH 1 01-23-2005 07:27 PM

Check with Darin at [email protected]. He can help.......... :D

baja36ft 01-23-2005 07:35 PM

Give Julie Or Matt A Call At Throttle-up At 727-531-2255 They Can Help You!!!! They Are Great People!!!!

Edward R. Cozzi 01-23-2005 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by jpclear
I'm sorry, but I really think that you will probably never reach your true potential running that deep. Although not cheap, you might find an IMCO "shortie" a worthwhile investment. In the meantime, I would find some Mirage and Mirage plus props to try. There should be lots out there you could try without having to buy. They will probably give you the best you will see at that height. --- JP

I think JP is right on the money. Try the Mirage Plus first and I'll bet you'll be pleased.
How is the attitude of the boat with the excessive trim? Where is the wake starting, forward or aft of the helm?

Griff 01-23-2005 09:19 PM

Try a 23"-25" Mirage plus.

throttleup 01-24-2005 12:21 PM

I also think that a Mirage Plus will work well on the boat. Additionally I think that it is quite important to run at the peak HP at the 5500 if top end is your goal. The 26P Bravo I propeller is to tall for your application.

Julie