Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Updating a black helm? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/95040-updating-black-helm.html)

dockrocker 01-24-2005 09:15 AM

Updating a black helm?

I've seen a number of boats that have been updated from an old, black or grey helm to white. I know Sean had the helm of his Cafe re-gelcoated in white; wondering if that is the preferred method or if folks have painted them with any success? Seems like this goes a long way toward updating an older boat with a modern look.

Poorsche 01-24-2005 11:03 AM

Re: Updating a black helm?

I've thought about putting naugahyde over my black dash--would that be a viable option?

offshoredrillin 01-24-2005 11:17 AM

I'm 41 and never seen a live naugha, how big do they get? are they mean? do they run in herds?:D...sorry guys had rough morning, had to laugh or I would be mean to employees.

Poorsche 01-24-2005 12:19 PM

Naugha's are like Manatee's and ex-wives--they travel in herds, they are def mean as hell, they have insatiable appetite for OPM--LOL !!!

Having same kind of day here--we've told employee's beatings will stop as soon as productivity, quality and attitudes improve--!!

dockrocker 01-24-2005 12:20 PM

:D Poorsche, updating a Formula dash is what I'm thinking. I've never seen a 311 or 357 that had been given the white treatment, but I've seen plenty of Cigs of similar vintage. I think an all white dash and new upholstery would make a 311 or 357 damn near perfect - they have beautiful classic lines as it is, a few cosmetic updates and.... :D

Poorsche 01-24-2005 12:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I attached a few pics of boat and the black dash. I want to redo the whole dash in white or yellow--

I'm going to redo the interior also I'm going to use an UltraLeather like material from Majilux for upholtered cushions and back rests in cabin. I'm gonna use a solid surface material on counters.

I'm still looking for right flooring in cabin but leaning towards some vinyl planking the comes in strips that are 6" wide by about 30" long. I used it in a condo in Florida and it came out great--looks and feels like real wood.

More to follow but idea's and pictures of what others have done.

offshoredrillin 01-24-2005 01:35 PM

Well Mikey, buy mine and start on the project, everyone will love the updates. There was a guy in the formula forum that did his white, he also made his own race faring.

Besides, poorsche has a few naughas on his property that he is willing to let go of rather cheaply....Rob

cuda 01-24-2005 01:36 PM

Nort redid his 312 in white, and mopower did too.

fund razor 01-24-2005 01:41 PM

"Myboat1.jpeg"

You get a lot of boats trying to raft off of the trailer?
Or is that a permabumper? :D

Wally 01-24-2005 01:47 PM

Gel does not come out smooth like paint would and you would spend alot of time wet sanding it down to get a smooth surface. It is more durable then paint would be but for the most part people just paint and take the easy road :)