Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   oops (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/95338-oops.html)

Steve_H 01-28-2005 11:02 AM

oops

1 Attachment(s)
crap.
anyone know a better way to get this out besides an easyout aka (never works and always breaks) :(

Zanie 01-28-2005 12:36 PM

Re: oops

I had quiet a few broken stainless bolts in my trim tabs and my old TRS Gimbals.

Try the Craftsman Drill-Out or Micro Drill-Out. They work allot better than standard extractor. The left handed drill portion of the things are very hard and will cut into the stainless VERY well.
Make sure you center punch it carefully and take your time drilling. If they break they usually break leaving enough of the extractor sticking out so that you can remove the broken extractor. They don't stay stuck in the bolt like regular easy outs.
Good Luck!
Dan

Zanie 01-28-2005 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The set you need is part #52155

Steve_H 01-28-2005 12:48 PM

thanks a bunch Zanie!
these gotta work better then an easyout.

Zanie 01-28-2005 12:55 PM

I hate to say it but............................
read the instructions.

Also, take your time.

Steve_H 01-28-2005 12:59 PM

instructions? we dont need no stinky instructions :evilb:

i have access to a bridgeport mill at work so i wont have any trouble getting it centered.

ratman 01-28-2005 08:45 PM

snap on tools makes the best extractor set you get 5 sizes in the set. there are 5 drill bits, 5 fluted studs, that you drive into the hole you drilled. then slide a hollow nut over the stud the flutes bite into the inside of the bolt and the nut catches hold of the flutes to back the broken bolt out. the great thing is that the stud isn't too hard ( most easy outs break off in the hole because they are too hard). the snap on stuff will give a bit so you can feel whats going on, with out fear of breaking the stud off inside the broken bolt. been there with easy outs. ever try to drill out a broken easy out forget it...

Infomaniac 01-28-2005 08:55 PM

Before using the extractor.

Heat up the busted fastener and dab some parifin wax on it. It will come out effortlessly with the extractor. A candle will work if you have no parifin.

Steve_H 01-28-2005 09:03 PM

thanks guys. i went out and bought the craftsmen set today. havent tryed it yet but when i do ill give it some heat and wax.

offshoredrillin 01-29-2005 05:56 AM

use the smallest bit possible to get it started, and once you have a pilot hole, open it up a little more, once the center is out the threads can release more with the extracter, not as much tension, a little heat will help as well.
never tried the parafin/wax trick.