alt not charging till you rev it >

alt not charging till you rev it

Notices

alt not charging till you rev it

Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alt not charging till you rev it

I have a goofy charging question. The alternator does not charge when you start the boat until you rev it boat slightly (to about 1750 rpm). The it is like the charge circuit gets engerized and it functions fine. (until the engine is shut off, then same deal). Only reason I even care is that the elect. fuel pump (carb Volvo Penta SBC) is energized by either the starter or the alternator. So if you start it and just let it idle it will run the crab dry. Is the alt bad? I can't imagine it came like this from factory. (it is a 99 and has been like this since I bought the boat about 18 months ago.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: alt not charging till you rev it

Take it to an electrical shop and have them test it on the bench. Sounds like the stator is going bad. or could be one of the diodes is acting up.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 2 Mercs that did the same thing...replaced them...trouble gone... case closed
Old 02-03-2005, 01:03 AM
Registered

If you have a delco marine alternator it will act like that if you have the large pully.If you use the small pully you will burn bearings out prematurely if you run high rpm.The delco is a popular swap for many applications such as marine or jap cars.The conversion kits for cars usually come with larger pulleys.My local alternator shop swaped my mando (OEM MERC) for a Delco and it kept burning out prematurely.He was insistent upon using the small pulley so it would charge at idle.I did some basic math and the bearing was not rated for the RPM it was seeing at high engine speeds.I showed my alternator guy the bearing spec and he told me the SKF bearing book was incorrect and the bearings he was using were better.He told me the belt was slipping due to loose tension.In actuality the belt was, but it was so tight you could bounce a dime 10 feet in the air of it.The only reason I brought up the bearing issue was because there is a lot of second rate korean crap out there.I hate it when you you can't talk sense to people(over speed bearing=burn out).Any how I got a larger pulley elsewhere and installed it and no more slippage or burnt bearings with normal belt tension.The down side is the alternator acts as yours does.Not a big deal in a performance boat.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:09 AM
Registered

And last, but not least, measure the voltage right at the battery. There may be a voltage drop in the circuit going to the gauge. (I had a similar problem and found a bad crimp on a terminal). Another reason could be a bad battery.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:30 PM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

you one of two problems.

1. As mentioned obove, you have a one wire alternator that needs to hit a certain RPM before it will self excite.

2. You have a stock type alternator that the exciter wire is not activating the alternator. Most alternators will self excite if you spin them fast enough.

Remedy:

1. Take your one wire alternator to a electrical shop and have it converted to a externally excited version. The you will have to run an exciter wire to it.

2. Find the problem with your existing exciter wiring and fix it.

Steve H
Old 02-03-2005, 06:32 PM
Registered

The alternator is a " Mando and it is not a 1 wire deal, it has like 5. I went to a local alternator/starter guy today at lunchtime and asked him about the issue and heis advice was to bring him the boat and he will "trick wire it" to make it charge. Yuck. I am not doing that, I don't like the idea of messing with it like that. I am pretty anal about stuff and want to fix it correctly. I have a factory manual and I will see how good the wiring schematic is and try to troubleshoot the wiring. Steve, I take it the exciter circuit is the one with an "E" on the back. :-)
Old 02-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's a Mando you should just buy a new one.
$125.00 for the 65 AMP unit.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Registered

I repeat, and I have Mando's, check the voltage at the battery before diggin deeper. I replaced voltage regulators at 65 a pop and didnt need them.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

Formula, I have dual batteries and the voltage seems about same everywhere, so I assume all connections are happy. You replaced them for allow voltage that didn't really exists? It defiantly does not charge and the dash gage is close to the measure at battery with digital voltmeter.
I got a electrical factory manual yesterday and it said to measure the voltage at the EXE terminal (I assume excite circuit) with key on and engine not running and it should be less than a 1.0 volt different than battery. Mine was about 2.5 so I thought Erika I found it, bad connection in sense line (like Steve said)/. Cleaned every connection I could find in the circuit and when I rechecked it was about 0.9 volts delta. Less than the manual said. Same issue, no charge until you rev it once then will idle at 600 rpm and charge all day. Then I jumped the excite wire and gave it the same voltage from the battery.....same deal, no charge until you rev it once. Where can you get a Mando for $125? I will repalce it if I think that will fix it but hate to start throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: alt not charging till you rev it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.