Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Removing valve covers with exhaust in place (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/99116-removing-valve-covers-exhaust-place.html)

Monty 03-25-2005 10:36 AM

Removing valve covers with exhaust in place

I've got a bad combo of valvecovers and exhaust manifolds I guess. I'm using the cast aluminum valve covers from Teague, along with Stainless Marine manifolds and risers and cannot get to the outer valvecover retaining bolts with the manifolds in place. As these are pretty common components, are there any valve covers that are more easily removable with the manifolds in place? Or any tricks to pulling the valvecovers? I though of trying vavecover studs in place of the outer valve cover retaining bolts, but I don't think it would make a difference because I can't fit a 1/4 drive socket in between the cover and manifold anyway. I've tried every combo or standard/ deep sockets, extension lengths, swivels, etc and nothing seems to work.

offthefront 03-25-2005 12:00 PM

Re: Removing valve covers with exhaust in place

1 Attachment(s)
TOO OLD has sone of these two piece covers ....might still have some ... I got a cpl and they are nice .....

www.trickmarine.net

VIPER7 03-25-2005 12:31 PM

You could try using socket head bolts and you would not have to get a socket in that area. You could use a long T-Handle hex wrench to get to them.

daboatman1 03-25-2005 09:23 PM

Try a short socket on the end of a universal joint socket (swivel) and attach to that a long extension. But there must be ample room between the manifold & valve cover so as to touch the bolt with your fingers. If you are unable to touch the bolt with your finger remove the exhaust.

rbtnt 03-25-2005 10:38 PM

Studs are the only way to go.

When I had Stainless Marine headers I used a 1/4" swivel socket that was ground down. I would put a paper towel between the header and cover to catch parts that would fall and I would put a piece of paper towel in the socket to hold the nut when taking off and putting back on.

vette131 03-26-2005 12:12 AM

try to loosen your exhaust manifolds so they lay back out of the way. usually this will let you get to the valve cover bolts without completely removing the exhaust.

Andy 03-27-2005 01:05 PM

Snap-On makes a very thin wall 1/4 drive swivel socket that I have used with my stainless marine manifolds in place but I have stamped steel stock valve covers

Wally 03-27-2005 02:41 PM

Yup, Andy beat me to it. Snap-On for the 1/4 socket.....and loosen the manifolds a little bit....only way i could get them off my scarab.

BulletProof 03-27-2005 10:13 PM

i m running the same set up and i have no problem. change the bolts to a allen head 3/16 and use a ballend type hex key to remove, I have to take the risers loose but thats it.

Badtoon 03-28-2005 08:09 AM

I'm coming up on this same problem so I ordered manifold spacers from CP Preformance to give me extra room.