Notices

new dunker

Old 07-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,595 Likes on 3,766 Posts
Default new dunker

Good story on the new dunker being utilized by OSS.

Offshoresuperseries.com Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association (OSS) is a not for profit organization dedicated to further development and growth of offshore powerboat racing in North America.

OSS Introduces State-of-the-Art Dunker
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Tuesday, July 5, 2005

The Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association (OSS) introduced the first two man team dunker for safety testing at the Edison Oil Offshore Race for Recovery in Ft. Myers earlier last month. Constructed by Douglas Skater and painted and equipped by Reliable Carriers, the dunker uses parts of an actual race boat.

When assembled, the dunker is approximately 8 feet by 9 feet and only requires 6 feet 6 inches of water to operate. Suspended on pontoons, the "cockpit", assisted by two trained OSS Divers, sinks and floods to the dash when inverted. Under controlled conditions, the race crews will be sitting in a realistic cockpit side by side, being inverted with water flooding the cockpit. They work as a team to self evacuate from the "boat". "This is a realistic situation compared with a possible accident scene." said Tom Abrams, member of the OSS Board of Directors.

This Dual Dunker is the first of its kind in offshore racing. It is a new experience for most racers. To date, the accepted method for dunker self extrication training happened in a single seat unit. This new OSS trainer addresses the safety knowledge needed by providing a two person cockpit that dominates the modern racing circuit. The training module is completed with flotation vests and helmets that were donated by SRP. The Air System in the cockpit was donated by TNT and installed and tested by the OSS Medical & Safety Team.

OSS, which has always prioritized safety for their teams, is proud that their racers will have an opportunity to be trained on the most cutting edge cockpit safety trainer in powerboat racing. The "Dunker" will be offered at three different race sites during the racing season. Special thanks goes to Eric Hurtgam with Reliable Carriers who will be storing the dunker and transporting it to the selected race sites and played a large role in the development. All OSS Race Boats have canopies, which are considered the safest style of offshore racing.

The OSS membership had an opportunity to submit names and vote on the name of the "Dunker". The votes are in and the winner is Offshore Super Soaker (OSS) which was a joint effort of JBS Racing and Ben Hedrick. There were twenty-four submissions from different teams. Each one was interesting in its own way and all received votes. Some of these were Big Gulp from Motley Crew, Flipper from Dominic Visconsi of Popeyes, Moby Dunker by Slug Hefner from Dirty Duck, Aqua Reminder by Ron Shelton of Game On, and Slam Dunk by Typhoon.

For more information on OSS check out: www.offshoresuperseries.com or call Race Headquarters at 361-888-9000.

All pictures (c) David DiPetrillo . Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails new dunker-dunker1.jpg   new dunker-dunker2.jpg   new dunker-dunker3.jpg  

Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: new dunker

Nice....I love doing the dunk test , and now I can actually step on Ryan's head as I depart.

Seriously.what a great idea to be tested as a team.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Registered

In the third pic,I think thats Rob from Wild Ride inspecting it before his duo of Larry and John got in it.Thank you OSS,Reliable Carriers,TNT,Bacardi,Charlie Bass and every other person that made this a reality.We thank you for all the safety precautions we have in place.

Wil
Old 07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW thats very cool.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

age before beauty ?
long hair before fat kid ?

VERY COOL INDEED!!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
Registered

did I say that out loud??

you know I'd help you get out first

Does that super soaker have a bottom hatch as well?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Nasty,
It does and you guys get to do it twice.If the boat you ride in has both escape hatches you must get out both ways.Ryan will have a boot imprint on his forehead.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

thats a damn good thing...I am always up for the dunk test...you can never be to prepared.

plus it's fun !
Old 07-06-2005, 07:46 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up Re: new dunker

Is this the Dunk Machine Smitty was talking about having at the SURF CLUB'S ORTLEY BEACH, NJ RACE???

Nice job OSS!!!!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-06-2005, 07:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Really great idea. A big THANK YOU to all involved. SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.

Quick Reply: new dunker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.