Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion-194/)
-   -   Sea Tow "SUCKS" (again) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion/112470-sea-tow-sucks-again.html)

getreal 09-15-2005 04:10 PM

Sea Tow "SUCKS" (again)

Is it just me? Three years ago John and I crashed “How Sweet it Is” in Ft Lauderdale. Sea Tow went on to the race course (while the race was still going) hook up to the boat and wanted $25,000.00 for the salvage. Three weeks ago Chris and I flipped “Hidden Agenda” in Huntington Beach. Sea Tow was under contract with POPRA for the entire race. Chris called me yesterday; apparently Sea Tow has been calling him and demanding $15,000.00 because they towed the (salvaged) boat to the crane area.

mbowers 09-15-2005 04:16 PM

Re: Sea Tow "SUCKS" (again)

Originally Posted by getreal
Is it just me? Three years ago John and I crashed “How Sweet it Is” in Ft Lauderdale. Sea Tow went on to the race course (while the race was still going) hook up to the boat and wanted $25,000.00 for the salvage. Three weeks ago Chris and I flipped “Hidden Agenda” in Huntington Beach. Sea Tow was under contract with POPRA for the entire race. Chris called me yesterday; apparently Sea Tow has been calling him and demanding $15,000.00 because they towed the (salvaged) boat to the crane area.

Geez, that almost sounds like extortion to me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

offthefront 09-15-2005 04:25 PM

:eek: I'm gettin me one of those Sea Tow boats !!!

berns29scarab 09-15-2005 04:35 PM

now thats my kinda franchise... :evilb:...wonder how my spectre would look alllllll yellow :eek:

BRUCE SEROFF 09-15-2005 05:47 PM

I think its time for the Maritime laws to be re written. Some of these towing co.'s are getting out of control with that word "Salvage".

Their contracts with the races need to be explicit and the racers need to know the particulars and have the power to make decisions as to what happens with their boats. I know Shane B. Had a similar situation couple years back in NJ, and Jo / Pepe Nunez from Pantera did too, during the worlds in KW.

mbowers 09-15-2005 05:55 PM

I was told once " If you ever get towed in by Sea Tow, before they hook up, make it clear " THIS IS NOT A SALVAGE"" I
wonder if that legally really works...

Ron P 09-15-2005 06:01 PM

Did you have thier tow insurance?

TGOR 09-15-2005 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P

I understand it doesn't matter.

If they determine it's a salvage operation, then they're entitled to a percentage of the total cash value of the boat. I also heard, yes, before you get towed, ensure they haven't deemed it a salvage operation, and if time/conditions permit, get it in writing as to the service being provided. Also, I would expect that the sanctioning bodies would make arrangements with these tow companies that defines the conditions of their service before the race, should an over turned boat need to be towed back to the crane.

I've got Tow Boat US coverage and I seem to remember reading an article put out by Boat US explaining the tow vs salvage rules. The good thing about having Tow Boat US is that as a Boat US member, they may be able to assist with resolution....not that it would cover me during a race.

Sean

mbowers 09-15-2005 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P

Ron if that was directed toward me, the answer is no.

Pete B 09-15-2005 07:57 PM

i have always thought if the sactioning bodies were to get to the next level, having a race salvage teamor 2 on the course, would be a great way to go. they could use a couple of RIBS, and have a diver, pumps, floatation bags, and a working knowledge of the boats that are on the course. I believe NHRA has the safety safari.