Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat >

Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat

Notices

Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat

Old 09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 201 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat

This was a Cat that Cigarette readied for the World Championship in Venice in 1979.

More new photos just up on HORBA

www.historicraceboats.com
Attached Thumbnails Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat-horba95060007-small-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat

Charlie, you would have been proud of Billy Martin taking second place in Ocean City this weekend with the old Bounty Hunter.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Charlie, you would have been proud of Billy Martin taking second place in Ocean City this weekend with the old Bounty Hunter.
That is fantastic......does anyone have any photos? Billy still has it in him I am glad to see.

Remember the old school boys never outgrow it...Bob Nordskog was still winning races at 79 years of age.

Here is Billy and me at Point Pleasant this year
Attached Thumbnails Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat-point-pleasant-2006-004-small-.jpg  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Registered

what ever happened to these old school boats? I'd love to see one out on the water
Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I attended the 1979 Championships at Venice. There was a gob of wooden cats, including Betty and John in the Cougar, who won. Renato Molinari and several others had new cat designs. The comedy relief was the Cigarette/Halter/Aronow/Seebold cat. It was built like a Champ boat (disposble). Driven by Francesco Cosentino and throttled by Richie Powers. Richie caused gales of laughter by carrying his liferaft wherever he went, to dinner to the bathroom, and to bed. In the end, he was right. That's where he finished the race.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Registered

Congratulations to you Billy for makng the effort and giving a great perfomance........I remember you coming down the docks at the 1966 Bahamas 500 with the crew of the first Bounty Hunter......all questions and " no fear in you ". It appears to remain the same way in you.......Dreadnaught is working for a living as a Dive Charter boat in the Bahamas and Ghost Rider will be at sea again one day soon..........hope to see you out at sea.................Barry
Old 09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Registered

Here are some photos of the Bounty Hunter at the last race.
Attached Thumbnails Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat-oceancity-28-large-small-.jpg   Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat-oceancity-27-large-small-.jpg  
Old 09-14-2006, 07:59 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BROWNIE
I attended the 1979 Championships at Venice. There was a gob of wooden cats, including Betty and John in the Cougar, who won. Renato Molinari and several others had new cat designs. The comedy relief was the Cigarette/Halter/Aronow/Seebold cat. It was built like a Champ boat (disposble). Driven by Francesco Cosentino and throttled by Richie Powers. Richie caused gales of laughter by carrying his liferaft wherever he went, to dinner to the bathroom, and to bed. In the end, he was right. That's where he finished the race.
Learning their lessons well from the wooden fiasco, Halter than charged boldly ahead and premiered a newer ALUMINUM hull at New Orleans in 1981..........

Which promptly..................sunk.

Halter is apparently Mongolian for "Always have your life raft within arm's reach".

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x
Old 09-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Learning their lessons well from the wooden fiasco, Halter than charged boldly ahead and premiered a newer ALUMINUM hull at New Orleans in 1981..........

Which promptly..................sunk.

Halter is apparently Mongolian for "Always have your life raft within arm's reach".

You can't make this stuff up.

T2x

Rich, here is the boat you refer to....before the sinking!!!
Attached Thumbnails Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat-horbacats914060091-small-.jpg  
Old 09-27-2006, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Charlie: I think the life raft story is a bit blown up, If I would have done that Aronow would have broken my arm. The boat arrived late, was still being rigged night before, same old stuff, we didn`t have many props to try, as all the props they sent were naturally to big, as they all thought the boat should run 125mph. So like always I was blessed with new boat new driver no seat time and going for the world title, you know how many times I have done that, Not fun. anyway we were leading the first 30miles until the tunnel blew out and we started sinking, top speed 97mph going with the tide, woof!!!!!!!!! woof!!!!!!!! always a pleasure Charlie, I saw the old 1978 Scarab we blew apart in Argentina, thanks for the memories, and great job.
Your friend
Richie Powers

Quick Reply: Old School Cigarette Cat Race boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.