Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion-194/)
-   -   The Future of Offshore Racing!!! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion/146837-future-offshore-racing.html)

CrazyBoatTower 12-09-2006 03:51 PM

The Future of Offshore Racing!!!

I was just wondering the opinion of all racers in every organization on the future of Offshore Racing.

To race for pure fun and bragging rights is fine. Racing should be fun, and if that is the case then the countless number of classes is great due to the fact anyone with a simi-fast boat has a class to run in. Just pop on a helmet and race.

If the racers, the fans, and the organizations want a respected big time race organization then all racers, fans, and organizations need to get together. We as racers need to balance the classes in a way that is both competitive and fun to watch. Less classes with more boats per class.

I'm not sure why offshore Racing can't become as big as Nascar or Indy, and me personally, that's what I would like to see. So many racers put in so much money and time, but does anyone know who we are? And last I checked, no one is buying t-shirts and hats at Wall-Mart with any Offshore teams logo on it.

Jeff Kinney

Ron P 12-09-2006 04:40 PM

Re: The Future of Offshore Racing!!!

I believe that someone first needs to answer this one simple question. "Who's the customer?"

If it's the fans, then everything must be done to give them the best show possible with lots of boats in minimal classes.

If its the racers, then you give them what they want, since they are the customer.

And since the racers pay the bills, at this point in time, they are the customers. If the fans ever start paying to watch a race, this might change. There again is an issue, since there's no stadium, how can fans be forced to pay to watch?

It really is about giving the town a show, and giving the sponsor the ability to get thier name in front of a crowd. There's really nothing wrong with offshore the way it is now, you can enjoy it for what it is. All that I would like to see change is a joint race at the end of the year in Key West.

At least Haggin is working on the bigger picture. He's got the time, energy, means and vision to take it to the next level. More importantly, he wants nothing in return. I for one want to support his efforts.

Hauling Trash 12-09-2006 04:45 PM

It is what it is..............................

Mike

gdfatha 12-09-2006 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Poo
Agreed .

It would be nice to see some more crossover from org' to org. I 'm going to participate in all three this year.

HOW???

MANITIE 12-11-2006 09:41 AM

I still wounder how OPA can ran a Organization and 7 races with no entry fee's....and still pay out a big purse.....

I know other Organizations are run and its a business....and they want to make money.....but I think we all can agree....
the more boats in a class the better.... better for the fans, better for the racers...and it makes it more presentable to sponsors...I don't know of a team out there that will tell you different....

Personally.....SBI/APBA and OPA seem to have a good racing schedule.....both with long term city's as there sites...

Both Organizations have there territory...OPA northeast and Great Lakes and SBI/APBA....other then N.Y. City SBI/APBA cover from N.C. south to FL and over to TN.

It would be great to see OPA be the Northeastern Division with the NE Championship and the 3 races in the Great Lakes Division to be a Great Lakes Championship and a overall OPA Championship.....and SBI/APBA have a few races selected as the Southeast Division and the rest as a National events....and then at the end of the year in K.W. have a overall P-CLASS Championship along with a the Super Series Championships...

Since SBI/APBA already runs a P-Class championship in K.W. by adding the P-Class's from OPA there would be some added cost for more helo's and medical people due to the incress in boats....a small fee can be charged to OPA racers to assist in the added cost and in return be able to race against all P-Class's in the counrty...

And with both Prize purses from OPA and SBI/APBA combined....then you could pay out to more teams....

Just a thought...since the Super Series Teams are not going to come together as one why not at least bring the P-Class teams together.....

When you look at all the P-Class teams running now...each class would have anywhere from 8 to 15 boats in a class for the Worlds.....

Most OPA and SBI/APBA P-Class racers know each other and have raced against each other in the past and a lot of them are great freinds.....if you asked all the P-Class racers "would you like to race against all P-Class boats at the Worlds...I think we all know the answer would be YES.....

There are over 65 P-Class race boats out there racing in 6 Class's.....why not bring them all together for one Championship.....These guys are a big part of Offshore Racing.....

MIAMIBOYZ 12-11-2006 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=Ron P]

All that I would like to see change is a joint race at the end of the year in Key West. At least Haggin is working on the bigger picture. He's got the time, energy, means and vision to take it to the next level. More importantly, he wants nothing in return. I for one want to support his efforts.[/QUOTE,.

Haggin /AMF is the best ticket to get anything done for the best of our sport.

Maximus 12-11-2006 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=MIAMIBOYS]

Originally Posted by Ron P

All that I would like to see change is a joint race at the end of the year in Key West. At least Haggin is working on the bigger picture. He's got the time, energy, means and vision to take it to the next level. More importantly, he wants nothing in return. I for one want to support his efforts.[/QUOTE,.

Haggin /AMF is the best ticket to get anything done for the best of our sport.

With Teams like your's behind us we will succeed!!

Shane B 12-11-2006 12:42 PM

It will probably be just like it is for years to come. :mad:

I was watching the Baja 1000 on NBC yesterday and it was prime time TV. The Score off road group seams to have it together, some of there trucks are worth the same if not more than Super Cats. There is no charge to watch the race they drew over 300,000 people for the race with 430 different racers in 33 classes they had 3 classes with over 30 competiters in the class and those were the top classes

They had celebrity's such as Robby Gorden who raced 700 miles jumped in a plane and raced in Homestead the next day :eek: check it out they have some HUGE sponsors as well www.score-international.com

Now for you Great lake people you may have heard of corr racing www.corracing.com they have been on Speed TV for the last few weeks same thing everyone is happy, there is only 1 organization not 3 drawing between 150-180 trucks now these guys do charge a gate fee and do draw a huge crowd. But once again the have good TV teams now have GOOD sponsors and now you have some teams that are full time (making a living on Sponsors/racing) for a sport they love.

These are 2 PRIME examples and very similar to offshore racing the only difference is they had a vision and plan and stuck to it, unlike offshore where some get pissed they just start a new group, this has been going on for as long as offshore racing has been a sport

cshantry 12-11-2006 04:50 PM

Trucks dont float .

bidpro 12-11-2006 05:18 PM

If you could look back to 2001-2002 there were a lot of good ideas thrown around in this area.

I have seen probably 50 threads like this of varying intensity and suggested solutions over the years.

Issues to consider:

Gate control (paid spectators)
Television on a branded network (Major Sponsorship won't ever happen without this)
Acceptance of the Sport by legitimate Motorsports Marketing people as a "viable" source of "marketing Icons"
A Sponsors willingness to "Activate" a powerboat racing team, i.e actually use them as a Brand Icon in addition to giving them money

Etc, Etc.

Also, I agree with what 'Funny Hat" Miklos said.

Gregg Reichman