Notices

Getting in to Racing.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting in to Racing.

Hello all,

I work at Extreme Marine in North Carolina. We are the East Coast Distributor for Dave's Custom Boats. I am 24 years old and have an interest in trying to get into racing. However, as you all may expect, I don't know anything about the racing scene and how to get into it. I kown starting a team is SUPER expensive and getting with an existing team is SUPER hard.

Any insight, advice, or words of wisdom?!
Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Your best bet is to start going to some races that you can get to. Pay your own way and offer to help a little with a team or volunteer to help do some race operations. You should try to make it to the Destin OSS or Key West SBI worlds.......if you do make it stop by the 111 team and Say hello.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I want to go to everyone of the races!!!!! The problem is, I am the only employee in our boat store. Selling the DCB line and only the DCB line we don't have a lot of overhead. Therefore ANYTHING that needs to get done is done by me!!!!!! I have a passion for the water, the speed, the adreneline rush, and the people!!!! My best times are had at Poker Runs and boat shows.

Thank you for the input.

I also thank anyone in advance for their input.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EXTREMEMARINE.COM
I want to go to everyone of the races!!!!! The problem is, I am the only employee in our boat store. Selling the DCB line and only the DCB line we don't have a lot of overhead. Therefore ANYTHING that needs to get done is done by me!!!!!! I have a passion for the water, the speed, the adreneline rush, and the people!!!! My best times are had at Poker Runs and boat shows.

Thank you for the input.

I also thank anyone in advance for their input.
You may want to check with JIMMY LEE US 1 FREEDOM and see what he has to say,Jimmy was a SKATER racer and may have some good ideas for you .
Old 10-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing is a lot of fun and you will meet a lot of good people. As you mentioned it is expensive. One of the hidden costs is Time away from home and/or work. Each event ends up being a week of time once you figure prep, travel, and the event it self. If you commit yourself to all the races as you mentioned you may find you will be compromising other things that are important to you. I raced full time for almost 7 years and LOVED every minute of it. I spent about 10 years working on others boats before my turn.
Good luck,
Jim
Old 10-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Registered

Sell a DCB to some guy who can pay cash for the boat and who wants to race. Sell yourself as a valuable copilot. Know all the rules so you can start the new owner off with no surprises. Go to a few races first.

You will want to bring something to the table like wrenching, discounted parts, paying your own expenses and most important is your TIME. Chances are the new owner will pay the rest. You'll learn together. There are plenty of people at the race site to help you get started.

Your in a great position to sell a new boat owner on the concept of racing. Go make it happen.

J
Old 10-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Flashwave
Sell a DCB to some guy who can pay cash for the boat and who wants to race. Sell yourself as a valuable copilot. Know all the rules so you can start the new owner off with no surprises. Go to a few races first.

You will want to bring something to the table like wrenching, discounted parts, paying your own expenses and most important is your TIME. Chances are the new owner will pay the rest. You'll learn together. There are plenty of people at the race site to help you get started.

Your in a great position to sell a new boat owner on the concept of racing. Go make it happen.

J
I never even thought about that!!! You bring up a good point.

Question is, is it feasable to race and run in the race conditions with the driver doing the throttling? The DCB is set up for one person drive and throttle. I would have to have them build a special "race" boat to do otherwise.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Flashwave

J
CALLING BIG MONEY "NASCAT" MICHAEL!!!!! YOU READY TO STEP UP!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by EXTREMEMARINE.COM
I never even thought about that!!! You bring up a good point.

Question is, is it feasable to race and run in the race conditions with the driver doing the throttling? The DCB is set up for one person drive and throttle. I would have to have them build a special "race" boat to do otherwise.
No. This is why you need to attend a few races. Get to know the sport. Find out how and why things work. Read the rules. For a new owner the is invaluable information for making his experience great. This will be a big part of your value to a startup team. Don't think this is a poker run with few rules. Become a professional racer. After all, your hoping someone else will pay the bills. This is work. A lot of work. A new owner can find one ride guys at any race. You need to be a standout he can trust and one he will want to race with for a long time.

J
Old 10-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flashwave and Ryan are giving good advice. You must go to a race, its impossible to imagine how far teams will go to stand out and to win. There is no shortage of guys with desire, its experience and money the teams need. If your serious find a way to go to Destin or Key West, you will be amazed and have a great time.
Jim

Quick Reply: Getting in to Racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.