Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion-194/)
-   -   Active Aerodynamic Contol System for drag and stability (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion/310392-active-aerodynamic-contol-system-drag-stability.html)

LostinBoston 04-01-2014 12:08 PM

Active Aerodynamic Contol System for drag and stability

I am looking for some teams and manufacturers to discuss the market potential of active aerodynamic control systems. A 15 minute conversation would help me very much as I am not looking to, or even able to, sell anything to anyone. The company may be looking for a testing and development partner later in the year.

Although the technology was developed for the aerospace industry, there is a definite benefit to high performance powerboats as well. Research is currently being done to improve the technology and the active control system. The system reduces drag by altering the aerodynamic properties of an object. The same principles can be used to increase stability. The system senses conditions and reacts based on a pre-set algorithm which would be created for a specific boat or situation.

What would you like to see this technology due?
Would this give teams an unfair advantage?

Phenomenon has an adjustable front airfoil and Nauti-marine had a rear wing (which I believe was removed). What other teams or manufactures are using active control systems other then a tunnel-tab?

Thank you very much for the help.
If anyone is interested in talking I can be reached at fastcat3600 (at) gmail.com

-Rick

kidturbo 04-03-2014 02:29 PM

I started a topic on this from a safety aspect over on boat design forum last year. Had some hull designers and aeronautic students chime in with good points for and against. From the SBI side at least, I believe current rules prohibit movable aero surfaces.

However I feel that the safety an control possibilities offered by modern active aerodynamics on high speed cats especially, totally out weighs any reasons someone can present not to advance the sport. This is a sport built on showcasing marine technology, much like F1 is to cars, so let those involved test what's possible and report back.

My first suggestion to you would be, get some of the race boats logging data this season. Thinking down this same line, I've been building a list of non-intrusive data capture platforms [some of them even smart phone based] that will log GPS data and G-forces movements along X Y Z axis. Simply compile a race season of the beatings these boats take under normal operations. That would help everyone understand things like angle of attack changes, all the forces such as drag acting on a boat, and better gauge how much surface area would be required to control it. A good starting point on this subject that offers everyone involved a chance to participate, learn from, and hopefully advance the sport in multiple ways that benefit the industry as a whole.

If safety and control is the primary goal, count me in..