Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion-194/)
-   -   Absolutly Not (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion/312475-absolutly-not.html)

TYPHOON 05-18-2014 07:36 PM

Absolutly Not

What the heck happened???? I was watching the Live Stream and heard the crowd OOOOOOOO and then the camera swung over and we didn't see anything. Saw the hatch was gone on the back so it had to have been a hard landing. Mark was smoking the field before it happened and looked good. Hope all is well in the boat. Does anyone have details?
Randy

Phantom1 05-18-2014 08:00 PM

I read on another thread that they barrel rolled, but landed upright.

TeamSaris 05-18-2014 08:26 PM

Get well soon boys

Bilgerat 05-19-2014 09:54 AM

Do they have their logger in there yet ? it would be interesting to see how fast it was going and how many g's when hit.

Ryan Beckley 05-19-2014 12:49 PM

They lost the back hatch, the roof hatch was crushed and badly damaged, and the canopy window was broken and parts blew out of it. Thankfully Mark and Jerry are "OK". I am in shock, as to, how badly the canopy was damaged in such a new, late model, boat.

extras 05-19-2014 02:00 PM

Ryan the boat came up spun upside Down and landed squarely on the canopy at about 80 mph

SVL4 05-19-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Beckley (Post 4124559)
They lost the back hatch, the roof hatch was crushed and badly damaged, and the canopy window was broken and parts blew out of it. Thankfully Mark and Jerry are "OK". I am in shock, as to, how badly the canopy was damaged in such a new, late model, boat.

For a long time all we heard was that these SVLs would not go over, well that has been proven wrong in the last couple of years. I wonder if the canopy on that Fountain is the same on Billy Glueck's boat? If it is built the same imagine what would have happen to his boat that can run 140 plus.

I hope they make it right and I am very thankful that nothing happened to our fellow racers.

BTW, The boat looked fantastic!!

Wil

Ryan Beckley 05-19-2014 02:23 PM

The canopy on Twisted Metal was built similarly. It was completely re-structured a couple years ago at Supreme marine in Ft Lauderdale.

Mark I am just glad you guys are OK. I saw the hatch and lid after the race. I've turned a boat or two over in my time. you don't need to make excuse on how or why the damage happened. The canopy damage to your boat is in-excuseable and un acceptable. The builders of your boat need to take a hard look at what they built there. Remember your boat weighs 1/2 as much and goes 40 mph less than many of there boats that have the exact same canopy system. Think about the multiplication of forces with that weight and speed..... the out come would be much worse in a 9,000 lbs boat at 120mph......

extras 05-19-2014 02:54 PM

Ryan I agree. We are going to sit down with them and see what we can do to make her stronger. A hit at 130 or 140 would not be good. Just to let people know the same person who laid up the other Fountain canopy race boats laid up mine. (Reggie or no Reggie argument)

TUGGIT 05-19-2014 03:24 PM

Glad you guys are ok, hope the boat isn't hurt too bad... You guys really were haulin ass!! The boat looked awesome...

Xtremeracing 05-19-2014 05:24 PM

Mark good talking to u today, important thing is that u and Jerry r ok. Get well quick see u soon.

Saratoga Stamped 05-19-2014 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by extras (Post 4124611)
Ryan I agree. We are going to sit down with them and see what we can do to make her stronger. A hit at 130 or 140 would not be good. Just to let people know the same person who laid up the other Fountain canopy race boats laid up mine. (Reggie or no Reggie argument)

Mark
First, it is a blessing that you are both without major injuries. We can typically reconstruct most orthopedic injuries, but often with some prolonged recovery.

We spent alot of time designing the canopy specifically for the 42 ( Stampede) and the original Fountain SVL( Watch Your Back). I believe the team that worked on our canopy specifications, all transitioned out of the Fountain factory in the fall of 2010.
I have not seen any photos of the insult/damage to the structure of your fountain canopy-deck, but I would agree that you might want to have a meeting with Mr Walker at the current Fountain factory and review the specifications on its initial construction . It might be worth while to get some additional opinions on the best structural methods to increase the stability and safety going foward. Our current Outerlimits (SV-30), was constructed using the UIM Class 1 guidelines for a race canopy.
There is suggestions in the SBI rule book, outlining a requirement for some sort of a notarized certified letter from the manufacturer, authorizing the canopy safety following a race boat rollover.

Best of luck

Doc J

extras 05-20-2014 02:52 AM

Some employees did transfer out but were hired back as sub contractors for this build.

Wahoo ATV 05-20-2014 10:08 AM

I considered reducing the window sizes on my Fountain. Most all the modern cats are running very small windows compared to SVL and SVs. Sounds like that may have played a role in your canopy based on Ryan's post. Obviously, you can never have a too sturdy hatch.

F1-00 Racing 05-20-2014 10:38 AM

I am no expert, however in studying this picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater it looks as the canopy did its job, yes the cockpit hatch, scoop, and engine hatch are missing and sure a blow by a helmet to the windshield helped contribute to that damage, but as in the pic, I dont see a bulkhead caving in on the throttleman or half a deck missing. As being one of the few, if only people that has been in both of the Fountain's cockpits, they are of similar construction, the only glaring difference being the fit and finish of the interior. Regardless, all canopies, no matter the guidelines they are built by, have to be reevaluated periodically as incidents like this happen to better improve and enhance guidelines for the future. I am sure Mark will be working closely with Johnny and the gang as well as others to do what they need to do as I can speak that Mark, yes likes to have a good time, but safety and getting home to his wife and daughter is and always will be priority #1

Ryan Beckley 05-20-2014 11:04 AM

Hard to tell from that picture but the "glass" is actually blew out in a spot on the other side. That being said and what I saw of the canopy lid. This was a canopy system failure in my opinion. The canopy lid was shredded, it looked like a truck had driven over it in the road. broken, cracked and de laminated..... EPIC FAIL, IMO.

Vortec Bandit 05-22-2014 09:08 PM

Thankfully all are ok. As the Doc mentioned, UIM have a stringent set of rules regarding canopy structure. We followed those rules to a tee using a Doug Wright canopy design. I take it, as our boat, yours is constructed with vinylester. The canopy is the strongest component of our boat. The deck skins were laid up vinylester but transitioned to epoxy and carbon for the canopy superstructure to the outside of the surrounding deflectors. This is with 1 1/4" core. Window flanges are a minimum 4" to avoid window flex in the event of a hard rollover. If not using polycarbonate windows, which give quite a bit before breaking I would use at least .8 two ply stretched acrylic. Cast acrylic windows will become chards and spears in a direct hit. Top hatch should be epoxy/carbon. If you have a chance take a look inside a DW and snap a few pics of the structure.

Xtremeracing 05-23-2014 06:43 PM

Chris we going to see you at the races anytime soon ????

Vortec Bandit 05-23-2014 10:03 PM

We were there watching. I didn't have my drive back yet. Other than that we are ready. Should have brought the boat anyway. Thank you to all those that offered up a drive in Cocoa. Didn't want to borrow parts on the first outing. Drive is in transit so Sarasota if we have no more hiccups. Guess we'll be needing the data logger for Sarasota.

Xtremeracing 05-24-2014 09:03 AM

Yes you will. If you need the info to get one let me know I can email it to you.

TYPHOON 05-24-2014 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vortec Bandit (Post 4127156)
We were there watching. I didn't have my drive back yet. Other than that we are ready. Should have brought the boat anyway. Thank you to all those that offered up a drive in Cocoa. Didn't want to borrow parts on the first outing. Drive is in transit so Sarasota if we have no more hiccups. Guess we'll be needing the data logger for Sarasota.

I cant wait to see it run. You have had a long road to get it on the course and I applaud your persistence of following threw on your dream. Go get um !!!!!

Xtremeracing 05-24-2014 09:38 AM

They r shipped out of California, so dont wait to long. You only need the data logger box not the dash display. The dash unit is also available as an option if its something you want. Both are at racers discounts.

bwd 05-25-2014 03:17 PM

Hey Frank, What is the actual unit being used?
That is a interesting and useful tool I think no matter what class someone runs.

Xtremeracing 05-25-2014 04:09 PM

Its the G2X. Right now it will be used in 4 classes, but you might see them in P class soon.

bwd 05-25-2014 07:42 PM

Do you have a contact name at Race Pak I could talk to?

Xtremeracing 05-25-2014 08:30 PM

If you have any technical question you can call race pak and talk to one of the guys on the tech support dept they r all good.

Greatguy66 05-25-2014 08:42 PM

Great boat hope they get well and back together racing soon!

Xtremeracing 05-25-2014 08:54 PM

I'm sure you will see Mark out there soon then you think. Knowing him repair will be full speed ahead.