True Superboat Racing... >

True Superboat Racing...

Notices

True Superboat Racing...

Old 10-28-2002, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Superboat Racing...

How does everybody feel about the APBA and SBI restructuring their premeire class to more of an unlimited format. I feel a true superboat should not be limited to type of hull, engine type, or drive type. Let's face it, some of the people in this sport have more money then God and this would give them another arena, besides poker runs, to showcase "the best money can buy."

Just for the record, I love Factory class racing. If someone wants to be really competitive, these are the classes they need to be running in. However, there are some people in our sport, (not me), given the opportunity, will build and run what I call a true superboat. I feel these types of boats will draw even more spectators and help the sport to grow...

As for me, I'll still be racing in P4 or P5, (A or B class for the guys wanting to change it). Just an idea and a little more eye candy to drool over in the pits...
Old 10-28-2002, 07:21 AM
Registered

i was just reading an article on al copeland. incredible guy. he has been working on turbine boats and suggested that they make a class for the turbine boats. with callan hitting the 200mph mark it would make for some crazy racing.

the other super boat classes seem to be working well enough. i might add the super superboat class for turbines. there needs to be some more turbine boats before anything could get going strong.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:04 AM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Regardless of the class, any race to the checkered flag involves a race to the check book!
Old 10-29-2002, 02:16 PM
Registered

It's all checkbook racing isn't it ? Not that I'm slamming it. It's just reality , offshore racing is and always will be a high roller sport.
Even the factory classes. I remember being at the worlds last year(just before the supposed hurricane kicked us out) and seeing some of the factory boats. A million dollars worth of hardware doesn't seem to "factory" to me.
This isn't meant to be a negative post , just my opinion.
I do think a Superboat class would be cool and would bring more spectators in. Unlike auto racing with the race on Sunday sell on Monday type of mentality it won't work with boats. I think what is exciting about boat is the extreme stuff... triple engines, superchargers , turbines..etc. Just go to a poker run and see all the spectators there, wide eyed at seeing some thundering triple engined beast.
Old 10-29-2002, 05:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I may be wrong but I thaught that SBI's SuperCat class wash just that, some boats with 2 engines some with 4, motors with different amount of HP, with this type of racing usually the boat left running is the winner.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:45 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,709 Likes on 3,785 Posts

If there were enough boats to support a class then yes it would be awesome to watch these boat race. But, like PX Class while i admire the boat and technology, but seeing them by themselves isnt much of a race. i will say it is pretty wild when they pass on the race course though!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

In 1999 APBA had big engine Cats - Drambuie and Alcone ran by themselves. When Alcone did not show up it was Drambuie running by themselves. Super Cat is AWESOME in APBA - The PX Class is APBA's Unlimited Class - now they run mostly by themselves. SBI has the Super Boat Class - unlimited power - there ya have it - BH
Old 11-04-2002, 12:26 PM
Registered

Cat, this is a race forum not the uncensored section.

Thank you
Old 11-04-2002, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Its called the PX class but there are no boats!
Randy