Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Notices

Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Old 06-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Attached is a new Offshore Racing business model. Hopefully, it generates some discussion.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
New racing business model.doc (30.5 KB, 178 views)
Old 06-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Great thoughts, but it gives me mixed emotions.

As a spectator:

At the recent Algonac race I spent the beginning of the race explaining to the dozen or so people with me how the races are ran. Noone really realized at first there were so many different classes running at once. Once they realized there were only 3-4 boats per class they became a little disappointed. So from that aspect ya the fans would love more head to head racing.

How many of the racers build their own engines? The reason I ask is when I used to drag race I think I enjoyed building/tuning the engine as much as making passes on the track. I still enjoyed Alcone's (Sterling's???) domination of the super cat class. That was back when you build the nastiest motor you could get to stay together and go. Then again it was rare for half the field to actually finish.

I agree that something needs to be done however who do you focus on? Racers or spectators? I don't think you can please both. I laugh when I hear a comparison of offshore racing to NASCAR as a spectator sport (Alweiss's dream). News flash.....it will never happen!

BenPerfected - I'm sure this WILL generate some discussion if people aren't already sick of talking about this.

Next?

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 06-07-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought's on saving offshore racing"

chapter 1
For those of you who don't know who I am, my name is Mike Sadlon and if you need references my number is 260-668-2118.

OVERVIEW, I got to look at a sport that I love and have loved since the 1980's, though a fresh set of eyes this weekend(thank you paula I love you) and as I'm answering a new spectator's questions a lot of things become very apparent.

1. WHAT THE is going on? a. make sure every fan/locale boater knows what channel race control is on. (argument a, they will interfear. they do anyhow). On shore, I heard that this weekend went well, a good model. Special note Bob does a great job...he needs a raise.

2. I thought we came here to see a race? To the average fan there was only one "race", supercat light for a few laps.
To the average person a "good race" is several boats/cars/planes/ect fighting for the checked flag on the last lap. You know, the go gettem passem go go go thing, that stirs us all. We have great starts but the finishes s..k. My anwser.....are you ready??

We are racing our P class backwards.

Listen this is cool

Step 1 Pick your top speed and your average speed for the days course.

Step 2 Calculate your starting place on any race coarse so everyone would make it to the finish at the same time.
so long as you did not exceed your top speed and made it to the finish first you win. Any $200 gps will do this.

very rough on phase one.

Think of drag racing bracket style.

I did some additional research and Nextel has tracking available, you can see if everyone was in place at the start

Last edited by Captnmike; 06-07-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:05 PM
PClassExpert

P Class is supposed to be fun and the rules were not thought out enough by whoever wrote them for it to be a nationally recognized class that would appeal to everyone. It should stay as a fun class like OPA envisions.

Old 06-07-2004, 07:48 PM
RMS Super V #2

Sprague:

Lots of good thoughts and I appreciate the time you devoted to it. Here are some observations about the content of what you wrote.

I was racing when P-Class started, I think Pacific Offshore was the first Divisional to really promote it, I was there when it took shape. The real idea behind P-Class was to give the enthusiast who did not want to build a "purpose built" race boat an opportunity to race in the organization, and try on "real racing" for size. The thought always was that P-Class would only be intended to provide a "stick your toe in the water" platform to promote people to build limited use, purpose built, class conforming race boats, and I still think that is the primary intent, although it is clear that there are a large group of P-Class racers who seem to be content with what it is and will race it with no intention of taking the next step.

Having said that, here are some other thoughts:

Increasing safety & equipment reliability: Both are at Al all time high since I have been racing, on and off for over 10 years, so I think this has already been accomplished, always room for more improvement.

High Boat Count, "heads in beds" will come from unification of the Sanctioning Bodies, not altering the classes.

Sanctioning Body: Reduction in the number of classes, YES, its a good idea, but focus on building the classes that already have the greatest numbers of boats, I.E. Super Cat Light, Super V, Supercat, SVL. TWO DAY SHOW, yes, a great idea, we are currently racing both days with our SV team and so are a lot of our competitors.

Boat & Engine Mfgs: Your suggestions here fly in the face of your other suggestions of reducing costs and increasing competitiveness. Lets not fix what is not broken, the racing is as close and competitive as its ever been and as cheap as it has ever been even for the upper end classes.

Class consolidation: Very, very difficult, I think impossible the way you are presenting it, and probably not necessary to achieve the goal. I think you are trying to be all things to all people. When many people talk about too many classes and the difficulty of explaining it to the average spectator, fan when we now have conforming equipment in most classes than we ever have, I can only imagine the difficulty in understanding a class with maybe 30 boats of all makes, shapes, sizes, power, no of engines, canopies, open cockpit, etc.

The current GPS system in P-Class works well, at least in APBA. When we race the Saturday race in P-2 we are really careful not to exceed the 100MPH limit.

I really don't think that Sponsorship and Money is winning at this point in the sports development, I honestly think that setup and testing and testing and testing and more setup are resulting in the teams that are winning, at least in Supercat, Super Cat Light, Super V, and Super V light.

Still some original ideas.. any ideas about how to achieve unification of the Sanctioning Bodies ?.

Gregg Reichman

Old 06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Captainmike,
You are I are on the same page. I do think the normal group start would be easier than a staggered start. Although they both could accomplish the same goal, your suggestion might be difficult to excute.

Throttleman,
I believe everthing listed is important to some. My proposal attempts to address many concerns; I'm sure they can be improved upon.

pclassexpert,
Fun is key for the racers and fans. Big classes and tight racing are a big step towards more fun for all.

fantastix,
Anybody can build the engines to any spec's...but you can only have a max. RPM. Want absolute createtivity where the best prevail? Then SC, SCL, SV and SVL offer that opportunity.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Greg,
I understand the theroy on how P-class started. If P-Class works, them by all means stay the course. My suggestions are to find a format that works for the racers that will never participate in the 4 OSS/APBA/SBI main event classes. I also believe that unless OSS/APBA/SBI come up with a revised plan, they face a tough marketing road. Have I got my own agenda? You bet...I want to race!
Sprague
Old 06-07-2004, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

PClassExpert,

Well said!

I for one enjoy P class racing. There isn't anything difficult about understanding how the five classes of boats works!! I along with my two partners and our families will be attending and racing at all six, as well as the NY SBI race this year. The changes that OPA made this year work fine for the majority of the boats that want to race!
OPA is about a good group of people, with a love for speed boating and like to go out and be weekend warriors!! IT'S ABOUT HAVING FUN!! What is so hard to understand about that!!
Old 06-07-2004, 08:49 PM
RMS Super V #2

Sprague:

I agree, if all Sanctioning Bodies continue to do what they are doing not only will they have a tought time marketing, so will the Race Teams who are attempting to conduct their racing operations as a business. You stated... "If P-Class works, them by all means stay the course", please help me to understand why, under the current format, it is not working, I guess I thought it was.

Thanks,

Gregg Reichman

Last edited by RMS Super V #2; 06-07-2004 at 08:53 PM.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

It works with OPA!!!!

Quick Reply: Attention: APBA, GLSCS, OPA, OSS, POPRA and SBI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.