Blue-Green Algae in GLOC

Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue-Green Algae in GLOC

Looks like the GRDA is taking this seriously:

GRDA Discouraging Swimming In Grand Lake

Langley – Ahead of an emergency meeting of the Grand River Dam Authority Board of Directors on Friday afternoon to discuss the issue of Blue Green Algae (BGA) in Grand Lake, the GRDA is advising the public to stay out of Grand Lake waters.

“We strongly discourage any body contact with the water at this point,” said GRDA Corporate Communications Director Justin Alberty. “That means no swimming or any other activities that would bring you into contact with lake water.”

The reason behind this advisory is due to the rapidly changing conditions of the BGA levels and areas in the lake, added Alberty. Earlier in the week, BGA was confirmed in several locations of Grand Lake. After further monitoring, it appears there is the potential for the algae to be in all the major coves and areas of the main lake.

“Test results from late yesterday (Thursday) afternoon showed BGA toxicity at higher levels than before, and this is a situation that continues to develop rapidly. We strongly discourage anyone from getting into the lake at this point.”

BGA are microscopic organisms that are naturally present in lakes and streams, usually in low numbers. However, the algae can become abundant in shallow, warm water that receives heavy sunlight. While most BGA are not toxic, toxins can be produced in some algae blooms. That is what has occurred on Grand Lake and continues to develop.

“Both the GRDA Ecosystems Department and the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality have monitored this issue for several days, and its safe to say that it has rapidly progressed, even in the last 24 hours,” said Alberty.

The GRDA Board of Directors will be briefed on the lake conditions during the special meeting, at 1:30 PM Friday afternoon, in Tulsa. At that time, it will discuss the other alternatives for dealing with the Grand Lake BGA issue.

For more information on BGA, visit www.grda.com or www.deq.state.ok.us.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BGA is present in every lake in Oklahoma. This happened last year at Eufaula 3 times. If it wasn't for the Senator getting sick from it, i doubt we would have even heard anything about it..

If you're swimming in water with a surface temp of 90+ degrees, its obviously stagnant..
Old 07-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
BGA is present in every lake in Oklahoma. This happened last year at Eufaula 3 times. If it wasn't for the Senator getting sick from it, i doubt we would have even heard anything about it..

If you're swimming in water with a surface temp of 90+ degrees, its obviously stagnant..
Nail on the head.

If I had a nickel for everytime I heard a warning about this stuff on a lake I'd be rich.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:41 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

My head hurts, my feet are numb and I am having a hard time peeing.
Could it be BGA?
O yea dont for get my red face abd Bluurrred speeeech
Old 07-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222

Well it's a problem with the Baltic too since the last 2 decades and cause the water temps have risen in the inland lakes this summer faster they have it too this year faster than the sea... Funny that the inlanders here always talked about their non algae waters.. I just thought you just wait...but on the other hand the lake waters are a lot clearer still. Algae is real problem for pets that like to swim...and kids.

So if it's a common problem and we know the causes, one could do something about it and not just neglect the problem..Right?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

We found some BGA this weekend. Threw the crap on the grill, topped it with some grilled onions and peppers.....

TASTY!!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

We tried drying it and smoking some. WOW! is all I remember
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
Well it's a problem with the Baltic too since the last 2 decades and cause the water temps have risen in the inland lakes this summer faster they have it too this year faster than the sea... Funny that the inlanders here always talked about their non algae waters.. I just thought you just wait...but on the other hand the lake waters are a lot clearer still. Algae is real problem for pets that like to swim...and kids.

So if it's a common problem and we know the causes, one could do something about it and not just neglect the problem..Right?
BGA has been around for hundreds of years. Most studies have found that treating it is not only nearly impossible if full-bloom conditions, it can further release the toxins (if the BGA treated has any). Not all do.

The only way to lower the potential for large blooms is to try and limit the amount of nitrogen and phosphorous that gets into the water. That means farming, fertilizer on lakefront lawns and near any streams where it can runoff. Many lakes that never had these blooms and now do, have a trend towards lush lawns on lakefront properties.

You can't have it all.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Or chicken farms in the watershed...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quinlan
We tried drying it and smoking some. WOW! is all I remember
I did the same!!! What are the chances?? LOL

BTW- your boat sounds grat ripping past my house!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.