Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"

Notices

Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"

There seems to be interest and support for a trip around Georgian Bay in the summer of 2008. A lot of the interest has come as a result of a trip made by OSO 25hors la loi and a group of his friends in summer 2007. Christrian ( 25h .. ) has a great thread called " Georgian Bay Summer Trip" and when looking thru that, it is easy to see why more people would like to do it.
I have been " round the Bay" ( way too fast ! LOL ) a couple of times and would like to do what I can to help others experience it, at a much more relaxed pace in July or August of 2008.

We can use this thread to discuss all of the possibilities, planning, timetable, safety issues, route, ports of call, accomodations, Canada Customs and Immigration ....... the list can go on and on. Ask your questions here and we will do our best to answer them. Anyone should feel free to jump in if they feel they have information that will be helpful. I will need some help on this.

A recommended read for anyone planning on attending is the "PORTS Cruising Guide for Georgian Bay, the North Channel and Lake Huron." It contains a lot of very interesting and helpful information. It should be obtainable at marine supply stores such as West Marine etc.

After some period of discussion we can then gather the information and post it on a separate " information thread ". This will save having to sift thru the discussion thread to find relevant information.

If this trip interests you, it will be helpful to let us know by posting here, so we know there is support for the tour. It is open to everyone and I expect in addition to my offshore friends here in Ontario, we will also have visitors from many of the border States, NY, OH, MI, and maybe even WI.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-huron-geo-bay.jpg   Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-georgian-bay.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-20-2007 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added Google Earth pics
Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM
cloke

BOB

Describe any given day ...start to finish...Do we all breakfast together.. how fast and how long do we boat each day...stop for lunch ?? do we all stay in same hotels how many days what if rain do we stay together or get lunch stops and dinner stops and its see you there how many boats would you think is managable

I would help you if you need any.
If this happens can you please promise to travel at the back with those stinkin diesels

Old 09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

A few of my favourite pics to get things started.
B

In pic one if you look closely you will see a stone man. ( I think it is a man ! LOL ) I once posted a skill testing question on OSO asking "what is it called and where would you find these stone men." After about 6 hrs Racegirl3 posted the correct answer and won the "prize. " LOL Anyone from outside of Canada know the answer ?
Attached Thumbnails Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-2005_0703_102349aa.jpg   Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-2005_0703_125203aa.jpg   Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-2005_0703_144351aa.jpg  

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-20-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cloke
BOB

Describe any given day ...start to finish...Do we all breakfast together.. how fast and how long do we boat each day...stop for lunch ?? do we all stay in same hotels how many days what if rain do we stay together or get lunch stops and dinner stops and its see you there how many boats would you think is managable

I would help you if you need any.
If this happens can you please promise to travel at the back with those stinkin diesels
Alec, Just a few thoughts for you. I can see there being around 20 boats. Over that we are going to have some logistical challenges but we will make it work. Some will sleep on their boats and some will want a hotel. I see us starting at Midland / Honey Harbour where there are accomodations for those that arrive the day before. On day 1, we can go up the small boat channel to Henry's for lunch. Make a stop or 2 along the way say Indian Harbour. Stay the 1st night in Parry Sound where there are Marinas, fuel and hotels. 2nd day make a stop in Britt, then up to Collins Inlet and over to Killarney for the 2nd night. Stay at Killarney Mountain Lodge. Day 3 leave Killarney and poke our nose into the North Channel for a bit. Lunch on Manatoulin Island before heading to Tobermory for the 3rd night. From there some can head back across the Bay to Midland / Honey Harbour if they are out of time. For those that want more we can head down the east side of the Bruce Penninsula to Wiarton, Owen Sound, Thornbury and finally finish up at Midland / Honey Harbour.

We will need a back up plan if it is windy out of the west. There is shelter from Christian Island all the way to Parry Sound in the small boat channel. I think you can actually go further north to Britt in that channel. Sean ( Airpacker ) mentioned possibly going into the Trent / Severn Waterway and do the locks and Big Chute. That is scenic and interesting as well. And it is not going to rain !!

My diesels are not going to stink ! LOL We can always send you ahead if you like LOL

Also I thought if we do not try to bite off to much mileage in a day, those that want to go out on the Bay and blast around a bit can do so. You can lead that group !

Bob

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-20-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm intrested in the trip, are there marinas we would stay at or would we anchor in coves? Once this gets going I would think there would be more people from Wisconsin intrested.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by RonS
I'm intrested in the trip, are there marinas we would stay at or would we anchor in coves? Once this gets going I would think there would be more people from Wisconsin intrested.

Great Ron. I see us staying in marinas each night. I can see us anchoring in coves to stop and take a break, party some and go for a swim each day.
Bob
Old 09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ian and I are in for pretty much what ever you plan. Since we cruise with a queen size bed and for some really weird reason I love sleeping in the boat and hanging out in marinas we will sleep on the boat. I will need to find out about the necessary paperwork involved to bring Kirby the wonder dog with us, We will plan to be gone a week and arrive on the lower part of the bay by trailer.

Alec don't be wound so tight about where we will will eat all our meals and stuff, it will work out and as a back up plan pack a dozen donuts from Tim Hortons

Bob I can't believe with a 50' boat you will need a hotel room, come on you're not that old
Attached Thumbnails Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"-kirby-blowing-wind.jpg-smaller.jpg  

Last edited by Ms PatriYacht; 09-20-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht
:
Alec don't be wound so tight about where we will will eat all our meals and stuff it will work out and as a back up plan pack a dozen donuts from Tim Hortons
Good one, Donna !! LOL. I wasn't going to say it !!

Just stuff that Yorky in your purse and put some duct tape over his mouth.

Ok, Ok . I will stay on my boat! Actually I do enjoy it when I get the chance. Not sure about 3 nights tho. Some refer to it as my "condo".

Last edited by Bobthebuilder; 09-20-2007 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

When are the winds best and worst? It seems that this past August and partly through September, the winds have been terrible - far worse than what I remember. We've got a 23 foot Scarab, so I'd be somewhat concerned about the trip over to Tobermory.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

you would want to plan the trip as late as you can get away with for the warmest possible water temps for swimming etc......that water can be cold up there.

Quick Reply: Summer 2008 Can/Am Georgian Bay Tour - "Discussion Thread"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.