Notices

Looking up north

Old 10-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the offer, Rick. Tim at lurhs did not have any slips open for next year that would fit my boat. He said that he thought they were taken and no one would want to move. He also talked about some bridge that he didn't think I could get under. The boat has an arch on it and he didn't know the exact height, but knew it was low. I don't care about going out to lake michigan every weekend, but I want to boat down sometime in the summer. I am pretty flexible. Bill, do you know the name of the marina where your talking about?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by REBEL4845
I am looking for something very laid back. I let most of the partying go since the kids came on the scene. Thanks again. Dan
Elk Rapids. You'll love sitting on the back of your boat watching sunsets over East Bay.

Ask them how much to pull your boat and drop it on the Elk Lake side for the day so you can run up to Torch lake. You may find that getting your boat on the trailer using the Elk Rapids ramp pretty easy. Best ramp around in my opinion.

tg.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have been boating on Torch Lake since we bought our cabin back in 2000 and have not looked back once except for the occaional day on Grand Traverse Bays! I have used the launch at Luhr's quite a bit when I had my Powerquest 260 Legend SX. Unless they have changed the vehicle turn around I would think it might be tough to launch a boat any longer than that. Just my 2 cents on that but very good people to deal with. I always kept my trailer at my cabin. Never used Torch River Marina but it is a covered site. I launch my 31 Scarab at the public access just north of Luhr's with absolutely no problems at all, just stay in the center until your in the river. FYI, there is no access by boat to Grand Traverse Bay. You have to launch at the Elk Rapids public access. Torch River and Lake Skeegamog are the only areas where you really need to watch what you are doing. There are maps that are available with all kinds of information about the Chain of Lakes and what to watch for.
Attached Thumbnails Looking up north-labor-day-2007-137.jpg  
Old 10-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Fast Priorty II Nor-Tech
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.irontoncovelandings.com/marina.htm

hope this helps
Old 10-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered

Dan,your 29 regal will go under all bridges on the torch chain no problems.You will just have to come up and look around the area some weekend and see for yourself. If I can be of help just let me know. Rick...(live and boated here for decades)
Old 10-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Boyne City has a city marina and the Harborage Marina in town.There are pictures of city marina on the Boyne Thunder web page.Great place to stay,easy to take day trips out to Lake Michigan and around.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Oval
Boyne City has a city marina and the Harborage Marina in town.There are pictures of city marina on the Boyne Thunder web page.Great place to stay,easy to take day trips out to Lake Michigan and around.
Ya, what BO boy said, also Charlevoix has dif. marinas, putz U about 16-17 miles closer 2 Lake Mich. than BC! West side of Lake Char!!!!! Good Luck!!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 PM

If you stay at Boyne City I was told the people are much nicer then Charlevoix.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Oval
If you stay at Boyne City I was told the people are much nicer then Charlevoix.
Cuz they know ya gotta travel 17 more miles on the water 2 get there!!!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

Don't limit your self to one area! go for the adventure if you can haul it around, head up to Munising and get some charts for Lake superior and check out pictured rocks, town dock holds about 40 boats but shouldn't be a problem gettin a slip. Then head to the south and hit lake Michigan from the notrh side (Escanaba area) or head toward the mackinaw brigdge area and swing over to mackinaw Island big tourist place (next on my list) Another area to consider would be the left coast of Michigan sleeping bear dunes all the way down should be some owsome sights, also some islands out to the north west might worth the trip but haven't seen or heard anything about them - so that means qutie time. then head east and hit lake Huron. On the way home stop by lake Erie and then you'll only have one gret lake to hit to be able to claim all five. (got them all under the belt) Another option that I frequently use which may sound stupid but Google maps sattillete view gives you a good indication of water depths yes dark is deep and light colors mean beware. I can't remeber the last time we launched in the same location. PM me if you want more insight - I've been around a lot of the lakes and seeen a lot of the sites. Next on the list Georgian bay, Torch lake (yeah it's inland), Mackinaw, lakes down south (lake cumberland etc.)

Quick Reply: Looking up north

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.