Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes and Canada (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada-219/)
-   -   LEOPA Fall Poker Run. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada/216709-leopa-fall-poker-run.html)

AB From Windsor 09-12-2009 04:39 PM

LEOPA Fall Poker Run.

Went out this morning with some friends to watch the LEOPA Fall Poker Run, that left from the Ford Yacht Club and flew up the Detroit River on their way to Jacks for a Poker Card. We were floating around between Peche Island and Belle Isle, when we saw the first Poker Runner come roaring by us. It was an Outer Limits with a real nice paint job with a rooster tail, they were flying and then a beautiful 42 ft. Cigarette Tiger came by and hit a roller from a big cruiser and he went airborne, I mean everything was completely out of the water and then he broke something. We offer to give them a tow but they still had one engine and were trying to fix their problem, which I don't think they did. Then the rest of the Poker Run fleet ,flew by and another Cigarette broke a drive I think and they were out. We think that there were about 40-50 boats, which was a great turnout. We drove around for a while and then went back by Peche Island to wait for the boats to come back from Jacks on Lake St. Clair after they got their Poker Card and heading to the Detroit Yacht Club for Lunch and this time they were packed together and they were flying by us like a swarm of Yellow Jackets, what a sight to see and hear and I was looking for the Konrad Fountain of Youth and he never disappoints the spectators as he only knows one speed WOT and that guy can drive, every run is a race to him and every time I see that boat on the Detroit River he is always racing someone. Had to get home after that to do a few things but got my wife in the car and made it on time to the water to see the Poker Run going down the Detroit River from the DYC on their way to Portfolio's for another Poker Run Card. Once again they all gave the spectators on shore a great show as this swarm of Yellow Jackets hammered it down the Detroit River. The sad thing about it, is that it is usually a sign that the year around here for boating is coming to an end. One more thing I wanted to say to everyone who is driving on the Detroit River, try to drive along the shore lines close to the people on shore and not in the middle of the River, on the Canadian side you have to stay 100 ft. from the shoreline and it is plenty deep. Great Job to all of the participants of the LEOPA who gave us a show today. Next year I'm video taping the action on the Detroit River.

baja502x2 09-13-2009 01:52 PM

Finally I finished a poker run this year. I'm 1 for 3 this year. The fall poker run is my favorite. It's quite a thrill navigating the river with all the boats running wfo.

TWIN-SPINS 09-13-2009 06:03 PM

a.b. i was right behind the yellow cig ,,,i saw it shoot straight up,,,it run a little,,,and when i went by ,the hatch was starting to come up,,,i had the 35 baja,,,he hit the wake from that dam cruiser,,,just in front of belle ile,,,i didnt know there was another boat that broke,,,but on the run back there was another yellow boat,,i thought it was the first boat making its way back in on one engine,,,not a good day for yellow boats:eek:

phragle 09-13-2009 06:07 PM

I saw one of the white cig's clear the props on the way back from Jacks... was a good time..

AB From Windsor 09-13-2009 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by TWIN-SPINS (Post 2951681)
a.b. i was right behind the yellow cig ,,,i saw it shoot straight up,,,it run a little,,,and when i went by ,the hatch was starting to come up,,,i had the 35 baja,,,he hit the wake from that dam cruiser,,,just in front of belle ile,,,i didnt know there was another boat that broke,,,but on the run back there was another yellow boat,,i thought it was the first boat making its way back in on one engine,,,not a good day for yellow boats:eek:

The other boat that broke shortly after the the 42 ft. Tiger was a White Cigarette Top Gun or Cafe Racer, older model and they said that they broke a drive and they never made it to Jacks and the last I saw of them they were idling back down the river on one engine and stopped to talk to the guys in the Cigarette Tiger. There were a lot of nice boats out there and what a way to spend a nice day on the water, watching them all roar by.

laszlo01 09-14-2009 05:47 AM

Does anybody know I believe there name was Tadson on the 63 sea ray at the entry to jacks ? Larry in the 42 fountain and I buzzed him pretty close and I noticed somebody got a pic of us as we raced by, would love to get a copy of the pic if possible. Absolutely a great run, our favorite one each year.

risingsun 09-14-2009 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=AB From Windsor;2951711]The other boat that broke shortly after the the 42 ft. Tiger was a White Cigarette Top Gun or Cafe Racer, older model and they said that they broke a drive and they never made it to Jacks and the last I saw of them they were idling back down the river on one engine and stopped to talk to the guys in the Cigarette Tiger. There were a lot of nice boats out there and what a way to spend a nice day on the water, watching them all roar by.[/QUOTE

I was the 39 Cig that broke the drive, we think the air time at the mouth of the river did it in but thats boating ! We want to say thank you to all the people who stopped and asked if needed help. LEOPA is a great club to run with and we are proud to be members !!!! I would rather race for a day then be a spectator for life !! If you read this Don let me know what you found ? Thanks again to LEOPA for a great weekend !

Bill.

bigmotor 09-14-2009 07:12 PM

leopa fall run

there are a few pics on greatlakesoffshore.com
I think you will have to register to be able to get in there.

No charge for the rigistration

J-Bonz 09-14-2009 08:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My bud RayRay was up with his 38' Lip Ship I heard...
Jr.

laszlo01 09-15-2009 11:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdZyy_MoxA

Video from our boat.