Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan? >

Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan?

Notices

Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Chicago's tour boats are caught in a win-at-all-costs battle against the Asian carp, a voracious and prolific invasive species that has destroyed native fish populations and disrupted ecosystems on its 15-year march up the Illinois River. DNA research indicates Asian carp are now poised to enter the Great Lakes, a nightmare scenario for biologists who fear the carp could irreparably harm the largest freshwater group of lakes in the world."

And none of them could see this coming or can believe the locks should be closed??? Maybe the concerned parties should give a percentage of their profits to the cause and/or possibly come up with another solution. If the carp reach that far up the river who will go on a boat tour with fish flying at you....Just a thought!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

Just find a commercial use for the Asian Carp (?fertilizer,cat food, etc.) and offer tax incentives to the fishing companies. Those things will be fished into extinction in 2 years.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pookie
Just find a commercial use for the Asian Carp (?fertilizer,cat food, etc.) and offer tax incentives to the fishing companies. Those things will be fished into extinction in 2 years.
Yep, I suggested that myself, earlier in this thread, must be a commercial use for them, or better yet, stop the damn things from getting into the lake in the first place! Sadly, like most people I figure it will only be a matter of time before some Idiot throws a couple in the lake for a joke or something. I wonder if these things have any kind of "natural predator" that could also be [re] introduced into the lake to control them?

Michael

PS: They look like ugly SOB's!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

NO, NO, NO! You cannot add another fish to eat the carp! That theory NEVER works! Nor will fishing them to extenction! Once they hit the great lakes its all over!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Yep, I suggested that myself, earlier in this thread, must be a commercial use for them, or better yet, stop the damn things from getting into the lake in the first place! Sadly, like most people I figure it will only be a matter of time before some Idiot throws a couple in the lake for a joke or something. I wonder if these things have any kind of "natural predator" that could also be [re] introduced into the lake to control them?

Michael

PS: They look like ugly SOB's!
Yeah I think we should introduce Alligators and Pirahna into the lake and use our god like ability to produce a genetically superior gator that can withstand freezing temps. For that matter maybe we should genetically alter the Great White and introduce it as well to take care of the Alligator problem when it gets out of control. Then 15-20 years later there can be a free for all on Great White fishing in the Great Lakes.

Lest we forget about the Giant Veitnamese Catfish !!
Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why they don't institute a program like they do with rats and gobies... Bring an asian carp to the DNR, dead, and get a small monetary amount ($0.49? $1?). I think it would be the cheapest way to kill thousands of these things...
Old 04-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Registered

This is kinda a slow subject now that the health care bill passed. Any news on this???
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I know that Michigan is still fighting to close the Chicago locks! You can go to Mike Cox's website and sign up for up dates on this. I do like the idea of a bounty on every carp!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I heard 3rd party info from corp engineer that they wont be able to survive the cold lake temps.

anyone else hear this?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by obnoxus
I heard 3rd party info from corp engineer that they wont be able to survive the cold lake temps.

anyone else hear this?
I wouldn't count on it, although it WOULD be nice, from what I hear though those things are built like "tanks" and can survive/adapt to just about anything.

I like the Bounty idea too, there are enough people out of work now that could spend days fishing for the things, good way for kids to pick up a few bucks too

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.