Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan? >

Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan?

Notices

Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Asian Carp - headed to Lake Michigan?

CHICAGO -- Lake Michigan is on the brink of being invaded by the Asian carp, a massive and voracious fish known to leap out of the water at the sound of approaching boats. Scientists fear the fish could decimate the $7 billion sport fishing industry on the Great Lakes and permanently damage the ecosystem of the largest body of fresh water in the world.

On Friday, federal officials reported biological evidence that the fish appear to have breached an electrical barrier designed to keep them out of the Great Lakes. The fish themselves haven't been seen but if the evidence is accurate two species of Asian carp are now about eight miles from Lake Michigan. A lock, which is often open to allow ships to pass, could hinder their progress.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125874214275057775.html

Not good news. Who wants to get hit by a 40 pounder at 70? I hear they now want to sterilize the canal by poisoning it and killing everything in it.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by freshwaterfiend
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125874214275057775.html

Not good news. Who wants to get hit by a 40 pounder at 70? I hear they now want to sterilize the canal by poisoning it and killing everything in it.
I am all for killing it, son of a gun this is going to suck for everyone. I am shocked that some dumb ace has not put some in the lake as a joke this sucks!
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

no doubt!!! i say poison the river all the way down to the mississippi!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Registered

The latest:

http://www.glu.org/en/blog/09-12/poi...nst-asian-carp
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are millions here in the Mississippi river at Memphis. They almost always jump behind the boat when going slow. Those damn things can jump 6 ft up in the air. They jump in my Black Thunher with no problem and bleed, slim and stink it up. But their fun to shoot in the air. So just buy youself a nice shotgun and have fun. Water skiers jet skiers, and tubers beware of the jumping carp. Bobby
Old 12-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDARCHER
There are millions here in the Mississippi river at Memphis. They almost always jump behind the boat when going slow. Those damn things can jump 6 ft up in the air. They jump in my Black Thunher with no problem and bleed, slim and stink it up. But their fun to shoot in the air. So just buy youself a nice shotgun and have fun. Water skiers jet skiers, and tubers beware of the jumping carp. Bobby
They jump in my Black Thunher ?????

Sounds like these fish are a BIG problem in Illinois and there spending millions to get rid of them .
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BDARCHER
.... But their fun to shoot in the air. So just buy youself a nice shotgun and have fun. Water skiers jet skiers, and tubers beware of the jumping carp. Bobby

I like that idea, if those bastards are dumb enough to jump in the air then by all means blast them out of it.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Registered

I just got an Email from "Boattest.com" apparantly they have found 2 samples of the carp DNA in Lake Michigan, there had been a suit filed to try and force the closure of the Chicago shipping canal, but, the supreme court denied it, now 2 of states, Wisconsin and 1 other I think are trying to get Obama to take action.

Some people are arguing that the DNA doesn't "prove" there are live carp in the Lake, but, the DNA samples are moving farthur and farthur North

If they get into the Great Lakes its "Game Over" this is some scary Chit!

Michael
Old 01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are these things doing with the freezing waters of the North?

This things must reproduce like mad. How dumb of a fish do you have to be to fly out of the water and onto a land mass that is going to kill you...
Old 01-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Registered

From what little I have read these things are built like "tanks" and just about impossible to kill, apparantly they eat like 100 times there own body weight daily or some ridiculous thing like that. I understand they have no real predators either. SURELY there must be a market to "farm them" for the fish oil, dogfood, fertilizer, etc.

IF they haven't gotten into the lake YET, how long will it be before some A-Hole dumps a couple of them in there as a "joke"?

Geez, and I thought zebra mussels where the worst thing we had to worry about. I am not a fisherman, but, I do a lot of boating and enjoy being able to jump in the drink for a quick swim, and kids love to ski and tube. It will REALLY suck if those activities are suddenly stopped because of some stupid fish!

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.