Notices

20fter in big waves?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FORMULAfast
Found a 1994 27' scarab w/580 ci Dart engine, solid roller cam,roller rockers, air gap intake,1050 holley carb,lightning headers, twin bats new, custom paint,w/matching int,new stereo,amp,subs,new covers,mooring, camper, bimini, says it runs 70 mph loaded and 75+ light on GPS !
would this be a good boat for MI great lakes area ?
There is a super nice 28 A/T in the classifieds right now, dont see to many of them available and would crush the great lakes slop for its size.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 AM

I dont know whats in your budget but if you want to to get much better ride with out spending alot take a look at some of the old 24' hulls like the 24 pantera. python,sunsation rocket,excaliber. I had a 24 python that would run great in Lake Erie in 2 to 4 footers. No it wouldnt run with a 28 pantera or a 28 Saber but it dont take alot of power to make it fast and there is still a few guys that race them old hulls and do well with them. and you can buy them cheap just my two cents.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FORMULAfast
Found a 1994 27' scarab w/580 ci Dart engine, solid roller cam,roller rockers, air gap intake,1050 holley carb,lightning headers, twin bats new, custom paint,w/matching int,new stereo,amp,subs,new covers,mooring, camper, bimini, says it runs 70 mph loaded and 75+ light on GPS !
would this be a good boat for MI great lakes area ?
I went thru this same thing went i went to buy a boat.

I wanted twins (one to get ya home) 87 272 Formula Fit the bill

a 272 is not gonna run 70 without 500 hp aside BUT you can go out in a TRUE 3 and not get beat up.

Now the 311 i have now is way better. A 35,38,41 and up boat is going to be the best.

Bottom line is for the money i spent i have the best hull for the money. it tough to beat these old Formulas for the dough
Old 12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Car Biz
I wanted twins (one to get ya home) 87 272 Formula Fit the bill

a 272 is not gonna run 70 without 500 hp aside BUT you can go out in a TRUE 3 and not get beat up.

Now the 311 i have now is way better. A 35,38,41 and up boat is going to be the best.

Bottom line is for the money i spent i have the best hull for the money. it's tough to beat these old Formulas for the dough
started out boating on the Greats with a 21 footer, went to a 24' Formula with twins, then a 28' Active Thunder, also twins. It was always a 'pick your day' proposition with any of them, although have a custom-built boat like an Active makes a huge difference.

A 311 Formula or 31 Cig Bullet is a good starting place for Great Lakes performance boating, and larger is better. There are days that any of the five GL's will kick your asss, no matter your length.
I just don't think a single-engine 27 or 28 is a good choice for Lake M. You might twist my arm into spending a day out there on a single-equipped Active, Pantera, Saber, or Powerplay, but I'll be staying close to shore and traveling with other boats. Sorry, but I personally wouldn't consider a 288 Sunsation or 29' or 27' Fountain for that duty. BTDT.
The older Formulas are hell built for stout, and can be picked up for a good price. I've seen some good deals on 357SR1's, and they do quite well out there.

I've boated and fished all of the Great Lakes my whole life, and would not consider going out on any of them without a second engine. Even every one of my fishing boats that sees action on the GL's has at least two, even if it's just a kicker. YMMV.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,251 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Don`t know what your budget is but I`m kinda local to you and my AT is up for sale

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o36977-en.html
Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

ICD- nice boat- Tantrums for sale are a rarity, and they handle big water better than just about any 25 footer out there- plenty fast too.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=jafo;3265520 There are days that any of the five GL's will kick your asss, no matter your length.
[/QUOTE]

YUP
Old 12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Biz
YUP
Yupper. Plenty of ship wrecks out there.