Notices

Canadian Customs

Old 07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

All will be good soon. Our boy, Bill Owens, per the news moments ago, will introduce a bill that will allow Canadians to aimlessly drift in American waters, while a Canadian counterpart will do the same on their side of the dotted line. Thru politicians! Take credit for finding a fix for something that was not broken in the first place.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also read in the local paper that they refunded $999 of the fine back to the fisherman. given the change in the exchange rate he may have even made a few bucks!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuposterchild
Sorry didn't mean to imply that there was. As far as I know there isn't one at Singer....last I heard was that there was only talk of maybe putting one in there because of the gap in phones from Alex Bay to Morristown. List of video phones from Customs/BorderPatrol Site

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pl...boats/oars.xml
Sorry guys that was my fault, I thought they had one at Singer now. I just got back after being on the river for 2 weeks. Made the run to Brockville then stopped at the Castle but no phone. We went to Alex Bay and called in from there. It's a long run but the kids wanted ice cream anyway. Next time I hit Morristown.
Tom
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

ha, i'm in chippewa bay as well Tom. small place
Old 08-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsationalMate
Acquiring a NEXUS card and the required Annual User Fee decal.

The process involves $50 application fee (per person) and $27.50 annual decal fee (per boat over 30'). (, when the US officer walked away, the Canadian officer told me the User Fee decal is just a money making scam, but you better have it! The Canadians are pissed because they didn't think of it first!)

The completion process requires fingerprinting and an interview by both the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA). Each NEXUS passenger must have this done.

The Boat Master and each passenger must have a NEXUS card and a BR# (to re-enter the US, which is issued during the interview).

In a nutshell, to enter US (CBP) or Canada (CBSA) you must call and provide:
1. Advanced notice of at least 30 minutes, but no more than 4 hours.
2. Your ETA.
3. The location of the initial "designated site" you are docking (during their normal business hours).
4. The boat registration number.
5. The BR#for each passenger.
6. Full name, DOB, citizenship of each passenger.
7. Your final destination, purpose of trip, length of stay.
8. Photo identification, proof of citizenship of each passenger (NEXUS card).
9. Declare imported goods, and currency information.

And then there's all those onboard beverage and fruit rules.

Good luck, you'll need it!
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing this is true for going from MI to a Canadian establishment on the water? And, what # are you supposed to call? Also, what is a BR#?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

sounds like abit of hassle to boat out of our waters, id hate to break down and float over the dotted line
Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys7619
sounds like abit of hassle to boat out of our waters, id hate to break down and float over the dotted line
It's not much more of a hassle then what us Canadians have to deal with every time we have to go over the dotted lines, out of our area or Country but it is what it is and if you have an I-68 Permit or NEXUS Card, it isn't all that bad. I myself prefer the NEXUS Card as it is good for 5 years and only cost $50.00 and is good at the border crossings and we don't have to carry our Pass Ports. I boat in the Detroit River and Lake St. Clair and love going over to the States.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
US has a new system to replace the I-68 and it is FREE !!!!!!!! Go to cbp.gov/SVRS Got this info from Border Patrol on the long weekend in Erie Pa.
Andy you might want to check this out as well .
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Registered

Cool Border crossing info and helpful link.

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm guessing this is true for going from MI to a Canadian establishment on the water? And, what # are you supposed to call? Also, what is a BR#?
BR# = Boating Registration number (for each NEXUS holder). Which is issued by US CBP at the NEXUS interview.

(Note: Technically, there are time requirements on reporting.)

Entering US.
According to the US Customs and Border Protection pamphlet, there are three methods of reporting to US.

1. Each passenger must be in possession of I-68 or NEXUS, and (in Detroit area, which is the eastern shore of Michigan from Metro Beach to Lake Erie) the "master" must call 313 393-3793 or 313 393-3949.

Or 2. Utilize a CBP videophone; there are none listed in the Detroit area.

Or 3. Report in-person to the nearest Port of Entry during established hours by calling one of the above numbers for instructions.

Entering Canada.
NEXUS holders call 866 996-3987
Non-NEXUS holders call 888 226-7277

Also, www.marinerscoalition.com
Old 09-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
All will be good soon. Our boy, Bill Owens, per the news moments ago, will introduce a bill that will allow Canadians to aimlessly drift in American waters, while a Canadian counterpart will do the same on their side of the dotted line. Thru politicians! Take credit for finding a fix for something that was not broken in the first place.
I have been boating in the Niagara area for more than two thirds of my life. I often shut off the engines and drift with the current with the radio on end enjoy the sunshine. crossed the border line many times and back again and NEVER been hassled.
Been pulled over by the US Customs once five years ago in the lower river for routine check and they were polite and I passed with flying colours. Not a bad expereince at all?
Maybe because my boat is so well known and easily identified????
I'm no "bad guy"

Oh and I DO have a Nexus card and use it weekly to go to see concerts at Artpark in the US. Smooth transition, just a phone interview and I am given a transit number for the evening. I recommend everyone take the time to get a NEXUS. Makes life simple...

Last edited by Stinger390X; 09-16-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.