Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
So I had Homeland Security show up at my house.... >

So I had Homeland Security show up at my house....

Notices

So I had Homeland Security show up at my house....

Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One more little piece to add to your FYI. The border patrol / homeland security also rents a barge from a friend of mines marine. They have it anchored in the maumee bay area. Off of the barge they release a weather baloon up about 10,000 ft, with some very high power cameras like your all talking about. They have a center that monitors the video and its crystal clear hd video. They can get your MC or OH numbers and tell if its bottles or cans your drinking...... They can see all they way up to Detroit river light and over to sandusky area. Its pretty impressive/ kinda scarry all at the same time.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Registered

Intresting. I do recall seeing a large balloon in the past out at Anchor Pointe (same marina I was in/out of), but never gave it much thought to what it was used for.

Is this balloon you're talking about based out of Monroe or somewhere in Ohio?

Originally Posted by znykodym View Post
One more little piece to add to your FYI. The border patrol / homeland security also rents a barge from a friend of mines marine. They have it anchored in the maumee bay area. Off of the barge they release a weather baloon up about 10,000 ft, with some very high power cameras like your all talking about. They have a center that monitors the video and its crystal clear hd video. They can get your MC or OH numbers and tell if its bottles or cans your drinking...... They can see all they way up to Detroit river light and over to sandusky area. Its pretty impressive/ kinda scarry all at the same time.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by znykodym View Post
I've never heard of this. Unless it was in the davis bessy (moa). I just did some research and I bet they do send a balloon up in the military operations area. It's restricted airspace from surface to 23k msl

Last edited by BraceYourself; 12-16-2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Registered

WOW....C DEEZY..this is some crazy chit. So what your saying is there is an eye in the sky tracking you! This is some crazy chit! Not sure what is going on it Canada that patrol is off the hook. If, this keeps up after I get numbers and sticker for inspection. I will sell out and quit going to the lake.

I am all about protecting our boarder and country but this is total over kill. I have boated at Lake Erie since I was 1 year. At least this is what my mother tells me! Lol. But in the last 10 years I have never seen any kind of funny business. But, I have experienced lots of fly overs while running and probably pulled over at least 10 times in the last 3 years.

I personally am fed p!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

----That baloon or one like it was raised up in Port Huron about 3 years ago. The Sarnians (across from PH) created quite a stir about it as being way too intrusive, and it was removed fairly quickly.......Bill S