St. Lawrence/1000 Islands People

Notices

St. Lawrence/1000 Islands People

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,073 Likes on 283 Posts
Default St. Lawrence/1000 Islands People

Im planning a trip for the weekend of April 28th, and since yall know much more about this area then me, Id like ya to look it over and let me know what ya think. Leaving Coles Creek Marina Saturday morning, riding all the way down to Clayton (maybe top off the tank in Morristown?), have a late lunch at Clayton, then cruise back towards Alex Bay. I made reservations at Bonnie Castle, and rented a slip there for the night. The next morning fill up and ride back to Cole Creek. The boat is a 27 Avanti with a Saris Racing 525. Any major flaws here? Coles Creek to Clayton is about 75 miles give or take right?
Thanks a lot,
Johnny
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

enjoy it, and be safe
Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Im planning a trip for the weekend of April 28th, and since yall know much more about this area then me, Id like ya to look it over and let me know what ya think. Leaving Coles Creek Marina Saturday morning, riding all the way down to Clayton (maybe top off the tank in Morristown?), have a late lunch at Clayton, then cruise back towards Alex Bay. I made reservations at Bonnie Castle, and rented a slip there for the night. The next morning fill up and ride back to Cole Creek. The boat is a 27 Avanti with a Saris Racing 525. Any major flaws here? Coles Creek to Clayton is about 75 miles give or take right?
Thanks a lot,
Johnny
Find bluellama on here by PM

He knows place like back of his hand.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Thanks guys! Id love to wait till June, even May...but the race season starts in early may, and ill be back in LG for the summer by mid may
Old 01-31-2012, 04:27 AM
Registered

Default call ahead

I would recomend calling ahead to Morristown if you calculate needing fuel there, not sure they wouled have a gas dock open that early. Coles Creek to moristown is pretty wide open, not nearly as much boat traffic, but going that early you will feel like you own the river. Honestly you can spend a couple days running around between Clayton, A Bay area and not see the same thing twice if your looking to really see the area, if you wanna do a nice long high speed run your plans sound perfect. But call ahead to make sure fuel docks will be open. Honestly up there other than memorial day weekend you don't need reservations for much of anything till July 4rth then everything is booked full till labor day
Old 01-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Johnny,

Couple things you should know. That time of year has a LOT of stuff in the water so becareful if you are making that run that time of year at speed (I am a mid-late May guy and one of the early ones in my stretch with the exception of using the fishing boat). Also Morristown no longer has fuel so you are talking a LONG stretch without fuel (Blind Bay and Schermerhorns are your next bets but you BETTER have a GPS or someone to follow to get you in and out of there if you are doing it for the first time. If you get in a jam you can head over to Brockville, Ontario which is off the channel but have your passport/papers with you and again call ahead to make sure things are open. Also depending on water levels there is a set of Locks that you will have to deal with if and whether the flow gates are down or not (you can drive under them if they are up) will determine if you have to use them or not. The Channel is your friend if you are going without a GPS and in many places it is still your friend even with. You will be running my local stretch for about half the trip and then pick up the stretch of Alex Bay and Clayton where bunch of other guys on the board roam usually. Shoot me a PM can give you bunch of good to know phone numbers/names/places etc and such specially if I am up opening up our place that weekend--You will be driving right by!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Thanks guys. The Avanti has a HUGE fuel tank, and im not making a high speed run...3200 rpm...45mph...that kinda thing. I remember the lock your talking about, went under it with the challenger in the fall...its pretty eery actually. I am using a gps, but i do plan on staying in the channel. CUPoster, PM me with the info, and your number just in case

Arora, I see what you mean. Bonnie Castle is the only place I could find to stay open this early.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by fast fun 2
Thanks guys. The Avanti has a HUGE fuel tank, and im not making a high speed run...3200 rpm...45mph...that kinda thing. I remember the lock your talking about, went under it with the challenger in the fall...its pretty eery actually. I am using a gps, but i do plan on staying in the channel. CUPoster, PM me with the info, and your number just in case

Arora, I see what you mean. Bonnie Castle is the only place I could find to stay open this early.
Will send you the information. Let me know if you need a place to keep the rig up there or what not at any point. Also you still in school over in potsdam? bring the boats up for a first week of class and will meet you for a cruise to show you some spots up there!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Registered

Good Choice in destinations.....
Bring your Fishing rod....
Old 01-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

Fast Fun sounds like cuposter has all the info for upriver for you if you need anything else info wise around abay or clayton let me know. Hey cuposter where do you run in the potsdam area, I mean is there some lakes around there other than the st lawrence river?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.