Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes and Canada (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada-219/)
-   -   Lake Monroe Indiana boating? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada/276585-lake-monroe-indiana-boating.html)

rdoactive 05-16-2012 11:21 AM

Lake Monroe Indiana boating?

I'm potentially looking at a job in Indianapolis. I've got a cruiser on Lake of the Ozarks and the 5+ hr drive might be too far. And in the current market, you cant give away a boat.
How is Lake Monroe for boating? It looks like Fourwinds is about the only place for a 42' cruiser. Anyone know if they have a travel lift. No way a 32,000 lb boat is going in on a ramp.

harsin 05-22-2012 07:19 PM

They have a travel lift.

bigredbaja 05-22-2012 07:37 PM

lake monroe

Yes they do have a lift and for a small lake (compaired to LOTO) its nice. I grew up in Bloomingotn and spent every weekend on Monroe. Its a nice lake small in comparison but last time i was there a few years back i was in a 23' footer and it was so rough we had to stay parked. I has heavy traffic most weekends. Larger boats seem to go to the Dam area to anchor or Monroe's version of Party Cove would be Allens Creek. Again nothing like your accoustomed to but still a nice lake for Southern Indiana. Take a look at Kentucky Lake in Western KY much better suited to your boat and similar to LOTO in a lot of ways but probably still five hours from INDY.

rdoactive 05-30-2012 05:11 AM

Thanks for the replys. I looked a Cumberland too, but Monroe looks REALLY close. And I can always visit LOTO.
Is a 42" old style aft cabin cruiser kind of big for Monroe? Looks kida like lots of 20 something runabouts from pics I've seen.

redcorvetteman3 05-30-2012 07:23 AM

It is a nice little lake, and yes it can be busy on the bigger weekends. Four winds marina has done alot of upgrading the past few years. There are a few on this board that are down there most weekends.

rdoactive 05-30-2012 09:16 PM

Wow, it is really little. Looking like it's not even 10 miles long on mapquest. I read it was IN's largest lake, so I thought it was bigger.
Any point on putting a 40+ ft cruiser on it?

redcorvetteman3 05-31-2012 05:33 AM

Personally I would... its not like you cant turn the boat around on the lake. But it is no Cumberland or LOTO. If you move to Indy you are about an hour away.We try make it down there a few times a year.

Magic Medicine 06-01-2012 08:38 PM

If you are moving to Indy and you want to do some real boating, get a slip on Lake Michigan. I work in Indy and live 15 mins south of the Lake Michigan. I hotel it 4 days down there and come home on the weekend. Its only a 2.5 hour drive. My women wants to move to Indy and avoiding it like the plague!!!!!!!! If I were you I'd stay where your at, I love LOTO!!!!!

Enough 4 Play 06-02-2012 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by rdoactive (Post 3698266)
Thanks for the replys. I looked a Cumberland too, but Monroe looks REALLY close. And I can always visit LOTO.
Is a 42" old style aft cabin cruiser kind of big for Monroe? Looks kida like lots of 20 something runabouts from pics I've seen.

Your 42" boat should be fine. It would be the 42' boat that might be a little big for that lake.