LSC and the Canadian waters >

LSC and the Canadian waters

Notices

LSC and the Canadian waters

Old 07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSC and the Canadian waters

I'm trailering over to LSC to boat tomorrow for the first time in several years. I've heard and read about the Canadian Coast Guard enforcing the "check in rules" and many charter fisherman getting pulled over for not checking in. We're not fishing but I'm wondering about wandering into Canadian waters while crusing. Do I have the potential of being stopped for not checking in if I go around the Canadian side of Belle Isle or running up the St Clare cut off and the south channel?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hemihead
I'm trailering over to LSC to boat tomorrow for the first time in several years. I've heard and read about the Canadian Coast Guard enforcing the "check in rules" and many charter fisherman getting pulled over for not checking in. We're not fishing but I'm wondering about wandering into Canadian waters while crusing. Do I have the potential of being stopped for not checking in if I go around the Canadian side of Belle Isle or running up the St Clare cut off and the south channel?
I really haven't heard of anybody being pulled over by the Canadian Coast Guard or Law Enforcement if you are just cruising. If you were fishing in Canadian waters maybe or pulling into a Marina, then you may run into Canadian Customs. If you were cruising and stopped just say that you didn't know that you couldn't drive in Canadian waters. I also read in our local newspaper that the Canadian Police would be more easy going then there American counterpart in Law Enforcement. I really don't know why boaters (Canadian/American) don't get a NEXUS Card $50.00, good for 5 years and can be used crossing the border.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered

Thaks AB, I figured it wold have been a bigger deal hear on the forums if it was happening often, I guess I just heard a news report sensationalizing something.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

As of June 1st Americans just cruising in Canadian waters are subject to reporting in to Canada. Dont know how they are in forcing it, but i would check with Canada first. I was told this was going to be a issue with the St Clair river race, would the racer need to call in every time they make a lap ??? I'm sure race control has worked this out for the race but find out first before you cruise..
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny... I never heard of this law?
I have lived and boated in Niagara right next door to the US and personally I find the US Customs a bit more anal than the Canadians.
The Canadian CG parks right across from me at my marina and when I go into the Niagara River, which is quite often, the US CG likes to do safety checks and they are not nice about it! At least the Canadian law enforcement are at least corgial and polite when they pull you over.
I also went to many concerts in the upper river over the years and as long as you don't touch US soil you do NOT need to check in. I went to the Tonawanda Canal many times inside US territory and just took a Tim Horton sub sandwich with me and never landed on US Soil. No need to check in to Canada Customs upon return either, as I did NOT LAND.

I hope that answers your questions?

Killing the ozone 16 cylinders at a time for over thirty years in international waters.

On another note I will definitely speak to the cops that park across from me as I am friends with one of them, and will get the skinny on this border thing once and for all. I'll check back in a couple of days with my reply.

Last edited by Stinger390X; 07-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stinger390X
Funny... I never heard of this law?
I have lived and boated in Niagara right next door to the US and personally I find the US Customs a bit more anal than the Canadians.
The Canadian CG parks right across from me at my marina and when I go into the Niagara River, which is quite often, the US CG likes to do safety checks and they are not nice about it! At least the Canadian law enforcement are at least corgial and polite when they pull you over.
I also went to many concerts in the upper river over the years and as long as you don't touch US soil you do NOT need to check in. I went to the Tonawanda Canal many times inside US territory and just took a Tim Horton sub sandwich with me and never landed on US Soil. No need to check in to Canada Customs upon return either, as I did NOT LAND.

I hope that answers your questions?

Killing the ozone 16 cylinders at a time for over thirty years in international waters.

On another note I will definitely speak to the cops that park across from me as I am friends with one of them, and will get the skinny on this border thing once and for all. I'll check back in a couple of days with my reply.
Thanks Stinger, it seems that they've tightend up over here at this end of the lakes, it'll be interesting to hear what the boys at your end have to say.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by h2oboater
As of June 1st Americans just cruising in Canadian waters are subject to reporting in to Canada. Dont know how they are in forcing it, but i would check with Canada first. I was told this was going to be a issue with the St Clair river race, would the racer need to call in every time they make a lap ??? I'm sure race control has worked this out for the race but find out first before you cruise..
Never heard of this June 1st requirement. Do you have a link to it ? would be helpful.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had a problem running through Canadian waters. I boat on the Detroit River and Lake Erie, and am in and out of Canadian waters almost every weekend (at some point during the day). A couple of weeks ago I was picked up by the eye in the sky coming across Canadian waters (coming back from PIB). I had a US Boarder and Protection (White and Blue) helicopter follow us all the way from the Detroit Light House to our Marina (Wyandotte Yacht Club). At which point I was greeted by two Boarder Agent trucks, one with a dog... Once we tied up, the boarder agents approached us and asked if I was in Canadian waters. I told him yes we were, we were coming back from PIB and took a direct shot, cutting through Canadian waters. He then asked if I had dropped anchor or docked any where in Canada. I told him no. He then asked if I had any contact with another Canadain vessel. Again, I said no. He then asked if I would allow them to search my boat. I wasn't fond of their hyper dog jumping on my boat, but figured I really didn't have much of a choice seeing as they were federal agents........ So after their dog and agent with his big a$$ dirty boots, did their search, they said have a nice day and left. Since I don't have anything to hide, I actually wasn't too pissed off, knowing that they are keep a close eye on our boarders.... But at no time was I told I did anything wrong by cutting across Canada waters. I know I have gone past at least two Canadian Coast Guard boats in Canada waters since June 1st have never got a second look from them....

Just yesterday, I came in from Canadian waters (coming back from PIB). Just as I entered the US, I passed a US Boarder Boat. He did a 180 and began to follow us. Since I was tired from an excellent time the night before, I didn't really feel like dealing with them. I was running around 50 at the time, Once the boarder agent swung around to follow us I decided to pretended I had not seen them. So I continued on my route at 50. After about 3-4 minutes, they broke off and headed back out to the lake. I then passed another boarder patrol boat by the "hole in the wall" (Livingston Channel). I assume if I had done something wrong coming in from Canada, they would have continued following me or called ahead to the second boat further up the channel.

I realize I am speaking mostly about my experiences with US Boarder Agents...... But I have blown past at least two Canadian Coast Guard boats in Canada waters without issue this summer without incident.

Last edited by low_psi; 07-09-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I really hate the thought of any Law Enforcement Officers boarding my boat with their work boots on. You would think that common sense would say to wear boating shoes and respect the property of others. I often wondered how they would like it, if you walked in their home on their couch or bed with work boots. I know they have a job to but be respectful of other peoples property.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
I really hate the thought of any Law Enforcement Officers boarding my boat with their work boots on. You would think that common sense would say to wear boating shoes and respect the property of others. I often wondered how they would like it, if you walked in their home on their couch or bed with work boots. I know they have a job to but be respectful of other peoples property.
I was so tired that day, I really didn't care...... But to this day, I still can point out the scuff on my back seat where either the agents boots or the dog stepped...... It no pisses me off everytime i see it. It isn't a big scuf, but it is their......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.