Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes and Canada (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada-219/)
-   -   Help picking out chart plotter (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada/279580-help-picking-out-chart-plotter.html)

mgh 06-27-2012 09:45 PM

Help picking out chart plotter

looking at all different models...anyone with experience on Huron/Lk st clair?

correct me if im wrong, but most garmin need the G2 vision card?
i.e. garmin 541s

what about standard horizon cp190i?

any others i might be missing, overlooking?

i guess im looking for something with the most loaded up chartplotter in stock form, without dishing out extra bucks ...

any input is greatly appreciated..looking to upgrade out of a older garmin handheld gps desperately :)

thnx

n20michael 06-27-2012 10:28 PM

I had an older Garmin GPS210, black and white and you needed a PhD in electronics to use it, LOL!

I got a Raymarine A50 for Christmas last year, and I am pretty happy with it, they are reasonably priced and it works real well. I like the "sea talk" cable, it lets you add a pile of stuff "down the road" without having to buy a new plotter or a bunch of adapters.

My second choice would be the Lowrance HDS series, they are really nice.

Good Luck!
Michael

mgh 06-27-2012 10:33 PM

haha..those raymarine are very nice..ill have to check into those further. do u get a lot of detail on your a50? some garmin folks say that some detail doesnt show up unless you buy the g2 vision card..

n20michael 06-28-2012 01:52 AM

I am pretty happy with the detail, it's only a 5" screen, so, it can get "compressed" looking if there is lots of clutter, I use the "zoom" function to clear it up, there is also a really cool "decluttering" thing that eliminates some of the unnecessary stuff on the screen to make it easier to read. My boat is small (25ft) so I don't have room at the helm for a 8 or 10 inch screen, sadly.

I use the Navionics Platinum card, it's 8gb and shows a lot of detail, including the overhead and 3D views, which is cool.

Good Luck!

frickstyle 06-28-2012 06:24 AM

I had a Lowrance HD chartplotter on a previous boat, it was so damn clear. I really liked the unit.

Does anyone make a chartplotter that can control media? Was it Raymarine that did this?

mgh 06-28-2012 09:05 AM

Nice top gun!! Any temporary mount suggestions? Not really interested in permanent fixing to dash

hotjava66 06-28-2012 09:38 AM

I got a Lowrance HDS5 this winter, been very happy with it so far. Came preloaded with Great Lakes and all inland lakes, lots of detail and very good display. Also very easy to use.

ThisIsLivin 06-29-2012 02:35 PM

I have been keeping an eye on prices on the Garmin 546s. It comes loaded with great lakes charts and is higher res than most in it's price range.

ThisIsLivin 06-29-2012 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by n20michael (Post 3719309)
I had an older Garmin GPS210, black and white and you needed a PhD in electronics to use it, LOL!

I got a Raymarine A50 for Christmas last year, and I am pretty happy with it, they are reasonably priced and it works real well. I like the "sea talk" cable, it lets you add a pile of stuff "down the road" without having to buy a new plotter or a bunch of adapters.

My second choice would be the Lowrance HDS series, they are really nice.

Good Luck!
Michael

What charts came with the unit?

JTeam 06-29-2012 03:04 PM

I just installed a Raymarine e7D and am real happy with it. The screen is brighter than the Garmin and I like having both the touch screen and knobs. Also, it's a new model so it has a faster processor than the equivalent Garmin.