Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
heads up for higgins lake boaters! >

heads up for higgins lake boaters!

Notices

heads up for higgins lake boaters!

Old 07-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heads up for higgins lake boaters!

Johnny law is back enforcing exhaust noise! After a few years of "big boat traffic" being near non existent and not getting hassled a few lake residents are finding it necessary to call the local water patrols non emergency hotline every time they hear a "loud boat". A friend was tested and ticketed this weekend (has mufflers and everything!) and after a few casual chats with a few of the patrols I was told he wasn't the only one.

I just am blown away these people can't find anything else better to ***** about like increased b&e's, other crimes and loud Harleys. Ugh.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Its easy money w little effort
Old 07-09-2012, 09:54 AM
Registered

So how do i get tested before I get the ticket?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by drpete3
So how do i get tested before I get the ticket?
gotta be under 90db 1 meter back from transom, and 1 meter above water w/o anything behind the boat for the noise to echo off of....
this is at idle
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Registered

Pete,

Radio Shack has a cheap meter tha you can buy. Just test yourself as mentioned above. 1 meter above and back of the boat. It's also a good way to fight the ticket because most popo don't do it right.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

I run around up there most every weekend in my 260 Baja with a 502 and Captains Call. We bought a place just off the water last year. Love the lake. The only time I open up the exhaust is if I am at least a half mile from shore. I know that from our house you sometimes hear some loud sounding boats but whenever I am at the waters edge and see a fast boat go by it doesn't seem all that loud. The wind direction and the way the sound carries and echoes off the trees can make a skiboat sound pretty loud. The DNR and the Roscommon County Sheriff were patroling the south State Park last Friday. It was the first time I saw the sheriff. Didn't see him on the 4th. If they really want to do some good they should do someting about the a-holes that were shooting fireworks off at 2 am all week long.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Well I can chalk up the next few tickets as the price of fun. I've been stopped a few times but never ticketed yet, I am usually pretty cautious when near the State Parks. There is no way I am legal but am not about to change out the tips either....unless it get REAL expensive.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Baja Man, Do they stop you when you are in the middle of the lake or just close to shore? Are you idleing or opened up? I see a few 25 OLs on the lake. Nice boat!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MACDAD260
Baja Man, Do they stop you when you are in the middle of the lake or just close to shore? Are you idleing or opened up? I see a few 25 OLs on the lake. Nice boat!
When I've been stopped it's been closer to shore...once near the narrowest part of the lake going north and the other near the North State Park. Neither time have I been opened up....cruise speed....and both times they have just said I was loud with no test...did their normal checks as well. It also has been a few years since I've been stopped...2010 I think was the last time.

I keep the boat at the Gerrish Township Marina.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MACDAD260
I run around up there most every weekend in my 260 Baja with a 502 and Captains Call. We bought a place just off the water last year. Love the lake. The only time I open up the exhaust is if I am at least a half mile from shore. I know that from our house you sometimes hear some loud sounding boats but whenever I am at the waters edge and see a fast boat go by it doesn't seem all that loud. The wind direction and the way the sound carries and echoes off the trees can make a skiboat sound pretty loud. The DNR and the Roscommon County Sheriff were patroling the south State Park last Friday. It was the first time I saw the sheriff. Didn't see him on the 4th. If they really want to do some good they should do someting about the a-holes that were shooting fireworks off at 2 am all week long.
Or these dickwads that just bought the place next to us with 4 dogs that bark 24/7...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.