traverse city area, or mackinac island for boating >

traverse city area, or mackinac island for boating

Notices

traverse city area, or mackinac island for boating

Old 07-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default traverse city area, or mackinac island for boating

i have 4 days off in aug. and looking to tow my boat up north to do some boating...should we hit up the traverse city area, or mackinac island...which would you do? We would stay on the boat...and leave the truck and trailer at the launch for a few days....
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

We just did this trip and I would absolutly suggest going to Charlevoix. The marina is first class, and you can make day trips to lots of great places. We ran up to Mackinac island and spent 2 nights. It was a fun ride up, and the island is cool, but overall I would use charlevoix as a home base. There is so much to see and do and if lake Michigan gets nasty, you still have lake charlevoix to boat on.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm heading to Mackinac the very end of the month and will put in at St. Ignace. They just built a new municipal marina that looks great.

I will also be visiting Lake Charlevoix in early August for the first time. RT930turbo, can you recommend restaurants/bars on the water? Any interesting places to run to on Lake Michigan?

Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 07-11-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably lean toward TC over Charlevoix, Char is great but there aren't a ton of options as far as the city goes. TC is much bigger, more fun to be had in the city if that interests you. Both marinas in TC are great Clinch is in the heart of the city and walking distance to a lot of restaurants, bars and even a couple brewerys. You can run to Char for a day or two it is a great trip to take if the weather cooperates. Mackinac is neat if you've never been, i've never made the trip boating but i've been there a couple of times.

Also spend a day at Torch Lake if you haven't been, it's pretty damn cool.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered

We didn't make it south of charlevoix. That's for next year we had an awesome time and met some great people. We did day trips to Harbor springs, bay harbor, petosky, etc. I can't speak for TC, but for staying on the boat, charlevoix municipal marina is one of the nicest facilities we have been to. Made 10 days on the boat easy.

I'll be starting a thread soon with our experiences.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock3
i have 4 days off in aug. and looking to tow my boat up north to do some boating...should we hit up the traverse city area, or mackinac island...which would you do? We would stay on the boat...and leave the truck and trailer at the launch for a few days....
If you happen to get into Lake Charlevoix, take a trip down to Ironton, and have a lunch or a cocktail at The Landing's. It's an excellent little hangout with a great view!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SHAWNA
If you happen to get into Lake Charlevoix, take a trip down to Ironton, and have a lunch or a cocktail at The Landing's. It's an excellent little hangout with a great view!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I'm heading to Mackinac the very end of the month and will put in at St. Ignace. They just built a new municipal marina that looks great.

I will also be visiting Lake Charlevoix in early August for the first time. RT930turbo, can you recommend restaurants/bars on the water? Any interesting places to run to on Lake Michigan?
The facilities at Mackinaw City, Mackinac Island and St Ignace are relatively new and very clean. I'd save yourself the bridge fair and put in at Mackinaw City. I was just there last Weekend and it was beautiful and the city is more fun than St Ignace. I'll be back up there the end of the month too. Look for the Purple and Lime Velocity 280. My next trip I hope to do the Les Cheneaux Islands, has to be the most beautiful place on earth. If you go there make sure your maps are updated, lots of shoals and boulders the size of a house.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

All are great options but the best option is Traverse City so you can hang out with Kristy and I!!!

Lots to explore on West bay lake michigan and East Bay lake michigan. Easy day run up to Charlevoix. So much to do in Traverse City you will not be able to see it all! Plus we can give you lots of Recommendations!

In Charlevoix the villager pub on the corner has excellent whitefish.

Anyone is welcome to call us when your in the area. 231-534-5060
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 734 Likes on 329 Posts

Char, T.C. , Mac , all good choices.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.