Boat Recommendation for Great Lakes

Notices

Boat Recommendation for Great Lakes

Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Smitty, we run that kind of water all the time in our 22 Donzis. The 22 Classic is a true 22' 6" boat with no beak, bustle or swim platform. It's a small boat for the Great Lakes for sure but it doesn't beat the crap out of you. You need to be careful what you head out into. I'll say it again, honest 2-3s are an absolute blast in these boats. Drop the tabs a bit and put the drive near straight and it skips across the top of the waves. The faster you go the better the ride. Just concentrate and watch out for that giant cruiser wake that sometimes comes from nowhere. They have the same deadrise as the larger performance boats. 4s are no fun but can be run. Anything bigger and there is a real risk of stuffing, especially in the mixed up waters of west Lake Erie. The OP wants a smaller boat that can be easily trailered and that is affordable to run. The Donzi Classics will surprise you as to what they can do. Just don't get in over your head. I had to get home that day from PIB in 6-8s so I vested up and got my waterproof ditch box ready and I idled through that water for 3 hours before it smoothed out to 3-4s and I was able to plane out. I was never happier to see the entrance to the Detroit River! The big go-fasts don't even go out in mixed up 6-8s on Lake Erie. The waves make no sense and there are giant holes! Eeek!
I boat out of Port Huron, the st Claire river and lk st Claire more than I do lk Michigan, 9 out of 10 times I can boat in huron near Pt huron and lk st claire as the wind almost always seems to come out of the west or south west and I can stay within a few miles of shore, waves are not as choppy and nasty there but when I go to Mackinaw island , north out pf Charlevoix or west out of Holland the waves are kicking up more with predominate west winds and its a wet, nasty ride more often than pleasurable. When I first bought my boat I thought it was big until I went out there and the stereo tore out of the helm, engine hatch vent cover broke off, door latch broke off among other things. It is true, just stay in when its rough, just seems to be rougher to me on lk Mi than south huron along the mi shoreline. I have been out in 3-4's, mainly to get back more than anything and the rouge 3-5's and big holes to me just really suck, fwiw, Smitty
Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I boat out of Port Huron, the st Claire river and lk st Claire more than I do lk Michigan, 9 out of 10 times I can boat in huron near Pt huron and lk st claire as the wind almost always seems to come out of the west or south west and I can stay within a few miles of shore, waves are not as choppy and nasty there but when I go to Mackinaw island , north out pf Charlevoix or west out of Holland the waves are kicking up more with predominate west winds and its a wet, nasty ride more often than pleasurable. When I first bought my boat I thought it was big until I went out there and the stereo tore out of the helm, engine hatch vent cover broke off, door latch broke off among other things. It is true, just stay in when its rough, just seems to be rougher to me on lk Mi than south huron along the mi shoreline. I have been out in 3-4's, mainly to get back more than anything and the rouge 3-5's and big holes to me just really suck, fwiw, Smitty
Good info, that is where I will dominantly be... dock in the black river and come out in lack st clair into lake huron.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Been on the hunt trying to find a good deal, think I may need to wait another month or 2 for the real good deals to pop up. I have upped my budget to high-teens, 20k tops. Really looking for a Fountain 24CS, Sunsation Aggressor 25 or an Active Thunder Tantrum. If anyone know of any close to my range please let me know, thanks!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered

Check this one out if you are considering a 242 ss..
http://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/4588388220.html
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abones
Ok I have boated on the Great Lakes for 45 years, and I have seen boats capsize and fishermen float up on our beach when I was a very young boy. this made me fear/respect the lakes till this day. When I got my first "BIG BOAT" 25 ft I thought wow how nice! Until I got caught in the Manitou Passage and nearly sank with at the time my young family, then stepped up to another BIG BOAT 28 ft, NOT BIG ENOUGH for the great lakes most of the time, yes we could enjoy it and go places, but never sure if we would be able to return home on Sundays. then a 38 ft boat much better but still the lake will win every time.

So what I'm trying to say is a 25 FT may work on some select days, but please don't think that it is going to be safe if the weather changes quickly (and it does) Please respect the Great Lakes for what they can become.
I have boated on Lake Erie for over 45 years and I would agree with everything abones says!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

We were on Lake Michigan this past Friday in the New Buffalo, St. Joe and Michigan City Harbors-- Spent the entire day there.

First we have a Cobalt 226 7.4 MPI Bravo 3. The weather forecast was less than 1ft waves -- with the slight possibility of thunderstorms. We headed out from New Buffalo to St. Joe - the waves and weather report were spot on. Most of the chop that we hit was in the 1ft range - a couple of rogue 3ft- but not a lot. We weren't in a hurry and cruised at 35mph all the way. Had a nice shore lunch in St. Joe and headed back -- on the way back you could see in the southeast a major storm brewing - I was listening to NOAA and sure enough a storm was on the way. We traveled a little quicker - not much just to make it back to New Buffalo - got to the harbor and we thought it was going to let loose any second - we put the boat back on the trailer - went to Stray Dogs and had an early dinner-- Finally around 5:30 the sun came out- we put the boat back in and headed to Michigan City -- the waves were again 1 ft or less-- smooth -- the biggest problem that we had there were the 35-50' cruiser that put out a wake the size of New Jersey - 3-4 ft waves if there were an inch. They were the most obnoxious boaters I could ever hope to see. It gave us the impression they wanted to see how difficult they could make it for a smaller boat. There were a number of go-fast boats that zipped by- close - but a very safe distance - really enjoyed that - and their wake was NOTHING compared to the cruiser types-- We did ok in the larger waves but to be out a few miles and routinely hitting them - that's not for a 23ft boat and don't let anyone kid you.

The boat did wonderful and we felt very comfortable and safe but again you need to consider the weather conditions - You have got to keep your eye on the weather - Lake Michigan will change at the drop of a hat - and for sure it is an unforgiving environment.

Hope this recent post helps

3pointstar
Old 08-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

Superman your inbox is full so I can't reply to your message.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fischan
Superman your inbox is full so I can't reply to your message.
Just emptied it! Inboxes fill up fast here!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
We were on Lake Michigan this past Friday in the New Buffalo, St. Joe and Michigan City Harbors-- Spent the entire day there.

First we have a Cobalt 226 7.4 MPI Bravo 3. The weather forecast was less than 1ft waves -- with the slight possibility of thunderstorms. We headed out from New Buffalo to St. Joe - the waves and weather report were spot on. Most of the chop that we hit was in the 1ft range - a couple of rogue 3ft- but not a lot. We weren't in a hurry and cruised at 35mph all the way. Had a nice shore lunch in St. Joe and headed back -- on the way back you could see in the southeast a major storm brewing - I was listening to NOAA and sure enough a storm was on the way. We traveled a little quicker - not much just to make it back to New Buffalo - got to the harbor and we thought it was going to let loose any second - we put the boat back on the trailer - went to Stray Dogs and had an early dinner-- Finally around 5:30 the sun came out- we put the boat back in and headed to Michigan City -- the waves were again 1 ft or less-- smooth -- the biggest problem that we had there were the 35-50' cruiser that put out a wake the size of New Jersey - 3-4 ft waves if there were an inch. They were the most obnoxious boaters I could ever hope to see. It gave us the impression they wanted to see how difficult they could make it for a smaller boat. There were a number of go-fast boats that zipped by- close - but a very safe distance - really enjoyed that - and their wake was NOTHING compared to the cruiser types-- We did ok in the larger waves but to be out a few miles and routinely hitting them - that's not for a 23ft boat and don't let anyone kid you.

The boat did wonderful and we felt very comfortable and safe but again you need to consider the weather conditions - You have got to keep your eye on the weather - Lake Michigan will change at the drop of a hat - and for sure it is an unforgiving environment.

Hope this recent post helps

3pointstar
Very nice post! I really appreciate all of the first hand experiences posted and will sure have a different outlook and attitude over the whole ordeal once I get out there. Thank you for these types of posts! I will be sure to not get a big head and take the weather and waves very seriously!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

" Lake Michigan will change at the drop of a hat - and for sure it is an unforgiving environment. "

Ditto for every Great Lake. Weather band on VHF is helpful but not always accurate. Carry a cruising guide for the lake you are on and it will list all harbors and marinas so you will know where the nearest shelter is if you get caught in big water. Watch for the cruiser wakes and freighter wakes on the Eastern Great Lakes. They can come out of nowhere. The Donzi Classic is very forgiving on them though. You need to learn to drive on this water first and then have confidence in your boat and your driving ability.

Get this, they also make one for each individual Great Lake. Priceless to have on board, along with a paper/plastic chart and of course a chartplotter and back-up compass:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.