Boat Recommendation for Great Lakes

Notices

Boat Recommendation for Great Lakes

Old 07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boat Recommendation for Great Lakes

Hello all,
Brand new here and to boats in general. I have been into performance cars so far my entire life, and always had the itch for a boat, but never got into it. Growing up my father had a bunch of boats, and recently talking with him got me interested in wanting one for myself. I am quite knowledge on mechanics being a drag racer, but nothing on boats. We live a few miles from Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair, which is where the boat would get used.

I suppose everyone has their own opinion, but first discussions with my father were to get something at least 20' or larger if possibly with a deep V hull for the large lake as it can get a little rough out there.

I want a sporty, go fast boat hence why I am here at performance boats. I have been eyeing just some boats my father has recommended I start looking at which would be Donzi's for the most part. I have been finding Classic 2+3's in 18' and 22' along with Z21s and Z25s.

A cabin isn't crucial for me, it will be a day boat and nothing I plan to spend the night on. I was something that is sporty, turns heads, isn't terribly rough in the larger lake, and packs some punch.

I would like to keep this project under the $20k mark, and most of the Donzi's I have been seeing have been late 80's and in the 10-15k range, however being completely new to this, I am all ears for suggestions.

Thank you for your time and recommendations!
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I run my Donzi 22 Classic on Lakes Huron, St. Clair and Erie and the rivers quite a lot. That would be the minimum size for serious Great Lakes running. I wanted a boat that can also get me on inland lakes. You definitely want 24* deadrise at transom. My boat can handle up to 4 footers OK. 2-3s are fun. I did plane out briefly in 6 footers once on Lake Michigan. Not for long though! Eeeek! Once I had to cross Lake Erie returning from Put-in-Bay in true 6-8s small craft advisory. That brought me down to idle. Idling over 8 footers for 3 hours was no fun. It was wet and cold. A 24 might be a better choice if you want to stay smallish. Something like a 24 Pantera or Banana. An 18' Donzi will be a blast until the water kicks up when it would be dangerous simply because of lack of freeboard. BTW, we have quite a few very nice 22 Donzis that run on these waters. Many run in the 80s and 90s.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Superman09

I don't need to tell you that the Great Lakes is/are an interesting body of water. I have seen people come in at St. Joe Michigan is something like the Queen Mary - white as a ghost because the boat wasn't big enough - on the other hand I've seen the brain dead rednecks in 14 aluminum boats with the trusty Evenrude head out in 3 footers. I wouldn't get anything much less a 23', V hull - large sides and a good sized engine. In your price range it maybe a little tight but you never know.

good luck

3pointstar
Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies! Exactly the type of responses I was hoping for. I doubt I will travel too far from shore much, but a day trip to Grand Bend or something of the like wouldn't be out of the question, therefore I am ruling out anything below 20 footers.

Might you guys recommend a Classic 22 over a Z21 or the other way around? I can't find much info at all on the Z21 or Z25's...
Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Registered

Since you're new to boating, I would say nothing smaller than 24 feet. Thirdchild can get away with it because of his experience behind the wheel. In a 24 foot boat you'll be able to go out just about every day. In the smaller boat you'll have to pick certain days to go out when the winds not blowing and the waves are bad.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Experience or not, nobody will convince me a 20 footer is fun in those lakes with REAL 3s.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lake st clair gets real choppy. A 24 would be my vote. My Chris Cat was bouncing around last weekend.

Wannabe
Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 22 classic donzi is a great boat and will run just fine in most water and if it's "that" rough them im sure you wont be out in it or many other boats for that matter. i run on lake ontario and it gets just as rough over here, i ran a 22 velocity for many years and now have an 18 donzi that is a blast in 2-3 footers. 24-28 pantera, 22-28 velocity (great prices), 18-26 donzi, 24,25,26 baja outlaw, 21 sutphen (awsome looking) 20 cig son of a gun, 24 fountain. these are all good boats. you should get a ride and a good look at the most boats you can before you make a decision, they all have there pros and cons. good luck with your search, kevin
Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for the great posts! Love the recommendations cig92, will do.. .thank you!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Registered

Anyone have any info or comparison on the Donzi Z21 and Z25 to a Classic 22?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.