Saginaw bay to Charlevoix >

Saginaw bay to Charlevoix

Notices

Saginaw bay to Charlevoix

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saginaw bay to Charlevoix

Looking at bumping up to a 24/7 hull or a Tantrum in the spring. Currently running a Classic 18. I'd like to start doing some more of the fun runs and over nighters next year.

In good weather is a Tantrum still too small to run from Saginaw to Charlevoix over a few days? I've never boated the great lakes before. Many times in the bay, charlevoix, and other inlands but not the big waters. Was hoping next year to get some experience in and maybe find a couple boats that would do this run.

Don't know if the Tantrum or a 24/7 is still to small for that run in food weather.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 229 Likes on 78 Posts

A tantrum is probably one of the best boats in that size range but it can get small in a hurry on the great lakes. A trip like that I'd suggest a 28 or 29' with twins
Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doable if you have the time to stop if needed for weather. Lots of places to put in between here and Charlevoix, be a fun trip. Would not do it in a single engine boat unless you are with a group just my opinion.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66 View Post
Doable if you have the time to stop if needed for weather. Lots of places to put in between here and Charlevoix, be a fun trip. Would not do it in a single engine boat unless you are with a group just my opinion.
I've read quite a few of your posts on here, how far up have you been? I've always wanted to run my Donzi to tawas but not alone.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02RedWS6TA View Post
I've read quite a few of your posts on here, how far up have you been? I've always wanted to run my Donzi to tawas but not alone.
In recent years I have been as far north as Oscoda and out the other side to Port Austin. Been around Charity Island a few times. Going back a while I have been between Rogers City and Mackinaw Island, never been on Lake Huron between Harrisville and Rogers City. Been to Tawas a few times but normally don't go that far, usually go to Cemetary Beach on Point Lookout to swim and come back.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Registered

Where is cemetery beach? I haven't been that far north yet, the submerged net stakes always worried me. On a side note I saw your boat tied up at the dockside about a month ago...nice ride!

Last edited by Fischan; 09-20-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been from Holland all the way back to BC and you dont have much to worry about to really stay away from but that is a LONG run unless you really get lucky with flat water which isnt too normal out there. Agree on having twins or someone to run with for that long a trip or have Boat US insurance as they have saved me a few times lol.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go 30+ if possible, it goes from good to bad with no warning.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Relaxing View Post
Go 30+ if possible, it goes from good to bad with no warning.
Not really interested in going that big. I'll just trailer it instead. Still enjoy going places like Sanford so I'd like to stay 25 and under. Pretty much set on the tantrum or 2000+ aggressor.

Side note, got out to hooters twice this week.

Last edited by 02RedWS6TA; 09-26-2014 at 08:33 PM.