Possible Offshore Race Traverse 2018

Notices

Possible Offshore Race Traverse 2018

Old 05-05-2017, 07:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Offshore Race Traverse 2018

If the community doesn't get in the way.
It appears that a majority of the people against it are the ones voicing there opinion.

I think they could use some more positive feedback.from the people that get it.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/...for-open-space

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/hi...d-traverse-bay
Old 05-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Its too bad. I'm sure that town would be all for a blow boat regatta though.

I loved the Tawas races when they had them several years ago. I was sad to see that die off. Was an awesome venue in my mind, plenty of shore viewing and right next to a pretty cool town. Seems like the town had a good showing for that one, street show was very busy when I was there. Fantastic crowd interaction with racers. Was the best race I've ever attended in Michigan.

I was at the St. Clair classic last years and it was pitiful, hardly any spectators milling around. Racers weren't being interactive either like in years past. Understandable with nobody showing interest. Was fairly crowded the year prior. I know they have had several sponsors pull out now.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

I'd be all for the old Northport 200 concept. Run from Northport down around east side of Power Island down to T.C. and back to Northport for however many laps it took, a race that had length and a degree of navigation was required. This new promotion unless there's a strong north wind is a flat water stadium race. Obviously T.C. would draw more spectators than Northport did which drives sponsors. We'd go out and view from the north side since we live in T.C..
ed
Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

We are trying to bring it back fellas but need as much local support as we can get. Initially online there were allot of people with "Festival Fatigue" chiming in and complaining...as well as at the City Parks/Rec meeting last week. On May 15th, at 7pm.....please tell anyone/everyone that would like to see this back, to come to the City Commission meeting...or email/letters to the City Clerk in support. There is now WAY more positive support online so it's looking better. The reality is, regardless of the negative public opinion, our event DOES meet and EXCEEDS the requirements of the City....so no reason for the City to turn us down...but...we need vocal support regardless.

The event is in fact Stadium style viewing, this keeps the event close to the spectators and keeps the speeds down for a much safer event. TC is unique....can view the race from all four sides...race course will be in the exact location as the air show for the Cherry Festival, and based out of Open Space/Clinch Marina. It's the perfect venue. Please look us up and join on Facebook at " Grand Traverse Bay Offshore Classic"....and don't forget to sign the support petition!!! There's event specifics in the "About" section.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:18 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

"https://www.facebook.com/gtbayoffshoreclassic/"
Old 05-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

10 million bucks into the economy over 5 days, reimburse the city for out of pocket expenses, sounds like a no brainer,
tell the hippies to cough up 11 million and we won't have the race.

how bout that meghan morelli chick, all 80's prom night big hair, clothes, make up and jewelry, she gets it, she's tryin !
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

N
Originally Posted by JWoolever
If the community doesn't get in the way.
It appears that a majority of the people against it are the ones voicing there opinion.

I think they could use some more positive feedback.from the people that get it.

http://www.traverseticker.com/story/...for-open-space

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/hi...d-traverse-bay

It started out nasty with the Festival Fatigued haters...that say we will pollute the water and wreck the place with out BUDFEST....apparently they are so smart they can't or won't read what the event really is...and just assumed they know everything. Frustrating. We'll get this thing done!!
Old 05-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

The nut and berry crowd went nuts initially but then more mainstream approval came on board. Record Eagle editorial gave the event a fair shake on Sunday.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Interceptor
The nut and berry crowd went nuts initially but then more mainstream approval came on board. Record Eagle editorial gave the event a fair shake on Sunday.
They did...it was excellent. The City's final vote is this coming Monday from the City Commission, attached to the Agenda to the Commission packet was a memo from the City Attorney reminding them that events like this actually fall under our First Amendment of the Constitution and to highly consider voting based from actual City policies that are currently in place, not discrimination - was an excellent memo. We might actually pull this thing off....what a ride it's been so Far!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey 38Raptor,
I saw you at the dock today by the air show! The boat looked great!! I agree, this area would be a great place for a Offshore Race!! It has tons of viewing from all over the town!! This is the first time we have been here and it is a beautiful area!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.