Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
4th of July Boating Destinations/Ideas? >

4th of July Boating Destinations/Ideas?

Notices

4th of July Boating Destinations/Ideas?

Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th of July Boating Destinations/Ideas?

Wife and I were planning to go to the indian river chain of lakes in Northern Michigan, one of my favorite places to boat. But we can't find a place to stay up there at this point.

What we were looking/hoping for.

1. Good sandbar/beach spots to relax at with some people watching.
2. Cabin/Cottage on the water with some people watching/activity, Indian River can be great for this on the rivers/no wake areas.
3. Places to boat to, I like the chain of lakes for the different spots you can cruise to during the day, just running up and down a torch lake (didn't see much still available over there either) doesn't seem as appealing to me.
4. Places to eat on the water with docking.
5. A place to stay where I don't have to put the boat in and out every night.

Any suggestions to check out?
Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Check out the Cheboygan River area, you have hotels and restaurants in downtown and along the river. The hotels have slips for your boat, there is also lots of camping along the river and at Mullet Lake. Access to Lake Huron and the Inland Waterway, Mullet Lake at the mouth of the Cheboygan river is always a great place to anchor and swim and especially people watch. Mackinac Island or Mackinaw City is a short trip away. The back side of Bois Blanc Island has an amazing bay that is extremely secluded if you want privacy. There's always a quick trip over to Les Cheneaux Islands, plenty to see over there. Hessel has a chef school that has a restaurant that I hear is good, plan on going there this summer as well. Check out Hack-Ma-Tack Restaurant on the Cheboygan River by Mullet Lake, great food. If you need more detail, PM me. This area is my home away from home, I can give you more things to do and see than you can do in a lifetime. I'm planning a trip up the St Mary's river through the Sault Locks to Lake Superior.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 AM
Registered

Ended up finding a cabin on mullet lake finally. Life is good.
Old 03-27-2019, 07:53 AM
Registered

Let me know where you are staying and when your up there. I'm up almost every weekend through the boating season and stay several weeks as well. Maybe we can meet up. You can't miss my boat, 28' Velocity with a Mitcher T Purple and Lime Green motif that morphs into a checkered flag. You will definitely hear me coming.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I camped at Mullet for the 1st time last year. Very nice lake. It was the week after Labor day so I can't comment on the traffic because there was no one out there!
Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 AM
Registered

Last year after Labor day was pretty cool out, I know I was on mullet then. If I remember it was kind of rainy too. I hope we have better weather this year. What end of the lake are you staying at?
Old 04-16-2019, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Let me know where you are staying and when your up there. I'm up almost every weekend through the boating season and stay several weeks as well. Maybe we can meet up. You can't miss my boat, 28' Velocity with a Mitcher T Purple and Lime Green motif that morphs into a checkered flag. You will definitely hear me coming.
Last year we were up there in a bright red Hydrostream Vegas with white accents. Labor day weekend, we stayed on the north east end of Mullet.

This year our current plan is July 3-8 for sure, we'll be staying about 10-15 houses east of the Cheboygan River Mouth. On Mullet. White sunsation 288 with blue checkered flag Mitcher T paint. If ya see us say hello. I'd post a picture but apparently I'm not allowed to.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Last year after Labor day was pretty cool out, I know I was on mullet then. If I remember it was kind of rainy too. I hope we have better weather this year. What end of the lake are you staying at?
Weather was great friday, we ran from Mullet to mackinaw island and back in our little Hydrostream, Saturday we were totally grounded as mullet churned up and it rained and our little boat didn't even want to get up on plane in that slop. Sunday was good, we ran from the North end of mullet all the way to crooked lake and back, though again it was kind of bumpy in the little hydrostream.