Lake Ontario - Formula or Colbalt >

Lake Ontario - Formula or Colbalt

Notices

Lake Ontario - Formula or Colbalt

Old 02-28-2019, 05:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lake Ontario - Formula or Colbalt

Hello .... first time poster. Looking for a 27' to 30' bow rider or similar for use use on Lake Ontario 50 miles either side of Rochester. As a former Coast Guard search and rescue pilot, I have seen first hand the danger ugly seas can inflict of boaters. As a former island owner in the St. Lawrence Seaway, my 24' Wellcraft Airslot got me and others trough some of the roughest sees safely - loved that boat. I have seen first had how the weather/seas can dramatically change in this region. So it is with this experience, I am looking for a stout, well made family boat that will safely handle Lake Ontario and nearby bays.

The boats I am considering include used Formulas or Cobalts from around model year 2000-2004. Both booths are well made and stout, but which one can handle 3-4 foot lake chop the best. Or, is there another boat manufacturer you can recommend? Also, should I stay away from Bowriders when dealing with the lake? Stuffing a wave in a Bowrider can be hazardous when compared to an express style hull. Your thoughts. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2019, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Based on experience in Lake Erie and Georgian Bay, I would go with a Formula and wold not even consider a bow rider

Thanks for your service!

Padraig

Last edited by Padraig; 02-28-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second the Formula. Heavy boat. Heavy seas and open bows don't go together well, or you might be calling your former employer for assistance someday.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice! Every CG pilots biggest nightmare is ....... being rescued by the CG! We will receive a lifetime of harassment from a peer group of unrelenting individuals. Will avoid bowriders at all cost.
The following users liked this post:
blown (03-02-2019), Tartilla (04-14-2024)
Old 03-02-2019, 08:18 AM
Registered

787Driver...what CG aircraft(s) were you flying? Fellow CG pilot, looking to make the leap over to the other side in the near future.

I think the 292 Fastech by Formula would be an ideal boat for what you're looking for, also easy to tow if you don't have a heavy duty truck, a 1/2 ton can do the job. The Cobalt is more of a family boat, less performance...though the 525 Merc package in the 343's moves in the mid 70's, but that's larger than 30'. There's a plethora of manufacturers in the 27-30' market, if you're willing to split from those 2 brands, you'll see Donzi, Fountain, Baja and a few others are all big competitors with each other in the early 2000's. I'd look for a freshwater boat with the lowest hours. As for rough seas, I doubt you'll see much of a difference between any of these boats and how they ride. Fountain has their beak, which usually equates to less running surface, but all in all...the same length hull and weight will give you pretty much the same ride. Always nice to have twin engines too...that way you never need to call the CG if you lose one.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:33 PM
Registered

MullenTJ - Falcons out of Miami and T34s out of Pensacola. Great tours! Thanks form the advice on boats. Have bumped up the length up to 33' and I do need a family boat - not a cruiser but a go-fast style that can handle a few families and tough Great Lakes conditions. Saw a beautiful Formula 330ss that has caught my eye - will hopefully talk to the broker tomorrow. When are you looking at jumping ship? What are you flying right now?
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 PM
Registered

144’s. Just left Miami last summer, currently in Corpus. Took a few Falcon rides years ago, great time. Looking at moving on in the next 3-5yrs.

330ss are beautiful boats, what size for power? Are you planning any overnights?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:24 AM
Registered

How do you like the 144s? Loved the Falocn - spent a lot of time down near the weeds and at reach out and touch distances behind the bandits. Really enjoyed my time there. The pickings are good right now in the Airlines - I jumped after 10 years and even though we had a major drought, things are great and glad I have the 10 years of seniority behind me instead of staying in. Start applying early - they are in desperate need of good pilots. As for the boat, maybe an overnight occasionally with my family but it will be mostly a day boat and something I can trailer short distances to the Finger Lakes. My overall goal is safety - I want something that has a haul that can hable the Great Lakes hard compressed chop and have the speed to get places. In terms of motors, the gouge is 496s or higher - do you agree?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Registered

I don’t mean to hijack your thread here, the 144 is a good plane. Could be better in some areas but it does it’s job fairly well. I do miss Miami and their mission, Texas isn’t the same. I’ll start my apps and interview prep in the next year or so, hoping to be on to greener pastures in 2021.

Whats your tow vehicle? If you’re in a 1/2 ton, 10-11,000lbs is all you want behind you and that limits you to a 30’ boat or less. If you can tow more, I’d highly recommend the Donzi 33zx, it’s a heavy boat that can eat up the rough chop you get on Erie and Ontario. Plus it has a cabin that a 6’ man could stand up in. Nice for the family to be able to use to change and what not. For speed, they have a 33zx Daytona with 575’s that I would think is an 80+mph boat. Formula 353 Fastech’s are nice too. I’d go that route if you want a more family oriented powerboat. If you prefer the Formula SS line, I’d look at the 330 as well as the Coablt 343, classy rigs that’ll get the job done. Just not an ideal poker run boat.