Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
93 Octane in Bay City, Michigan? >

93 Octane in Bay City, Michigan?

Notices

93 Octane in Bay City, Michigan?

Old 07-01-2019, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 93 Octane in Bay City, Michigan?

I'm taking my boat up to Bay City, MI to visit the in-laws soon. Never had to worry about this before with previous boats, but my 300X outboards require 93 octane. Do they have 93 octane ethanol free gas either at the pump or on the water in Bay City? I do carry Amsoil octane boost with me, but would prefer to get straight 93 if possible.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Pier 7 Marina just advertises 89 Non-ethanol

Bay Harbor doesn't have blends posted on website, but I believe just REC 90 and Diesel. Would be worth giving them a call.

Skipper Bud's doesn't have it on their website either.

You are probably better off finding a Shell (93) or a Sunoco (94) on land with ethanol and adding stabilizer, unless you plan on burning the entire tank out , then I wouldn't worry. I run conventional pump gas in my 380 powerquest with 502MPI and have had zero ethanol related issues. Not sure if the two-strokes are more sensitive to it or not.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Registered

Thanks. I plan to burn a lot of fuel, so maybe some Shell 93 is the best option. I was hoping they had some 93 non-oxy because my buddy told me they had it at the pump in the U.P.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
Thanks. I plan to burn a lot of fuel, so maybe some Shell 93 is the best option. I was hoping they had some 93 non-oxy because my buddy told me they had it at the pump in the U.P.
I would agree. Very few stations have non-ethanol. Usually just the REC 90 variety if they do. Stick with a major oil company (Mobil, BP, Shell, Sunoco) and you will be fine. Their additive packages will be better and the bigger the station the more fuel moves through and will be fresher.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Registered

This didn't go well. I ended up filling up at the Shell on Wilder. Not long after setting out from Bay City to a friend's house in August Gres, an alarm went off on both engines. I dumped the water/fuel separators into a baggy and it was half water!
Old 07-15-2019, 06:57 AM
Registered

Awe that sucks! Sorry to hear that! Been a long time since I had gas related issues like that from a mainstream road station. Usually diesel in winter is only time I've had issues.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Registered

Thankfully, the water separators did their job. We made the 60 mile trip without any engine problems and our friends even got to experience a 100+ MPH blast. Next up is Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair River. Gotta find a new spot for gas, though. Michigan does have 93 everywhere which makes it easier. 93 is very rare in Minnesota where premium is most commonly only 91 octane.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM
Registered

The St. Clair river is gorgeous. My in-laws live 1/4 mile from it and 1/2 mile from the Marina in St. Clair. I've been wanting to boat it for a while now but I still haven't taken the time to put new brakes and tires on my trailer to start road tripping the rig. We go down and have a big cookout for Riverfest races every year. There is a great sand bar in middle off Palmer Park where races are held. Looks like a blast to anchor there on Saturday for test and tune. On race day, best spot is lawn chair in the park.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in the Essexville area. Where is the best place to fill up?