How well does your Depthfiner work shooting thru hull,puck

Notices

How well does your Depthfiner work shooting thru hull,puck

Old 05-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question How well does your Depthfiner work shooting thru hull,puck

Its on my 388 Hustler. Im figuring its the same on most other Hustlers. Mine has never worked when up and running and sporadic when idling. Ive been running it like this since 2002, Guess Im lucky Ive been running the same 2 sets of prop's for 13 years never even nicked one. I changed the depth finder and puck out a few times with no change, I know its cored hull and im using the spot in bilge that's cut out/made for the puck/transducer. Ive gota buy new GPS was thinking one w/ transducer. Or what else?

I know at speed/stephull the water is aerated, even 95+ speed o pickup tube is catching air.

Whats your experience? What are you running?

Thanks
Rob

Livorsi Gaffrig hummingbird lowrance etc

Heres a few Old picks,

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never had any luck with depth finders working at speed in any of my boais.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Active Thunder places them about mid-ship, in front of the step; down at the keel; literally the lowest point in the hull, just off to the starboard side on the flat surface. This is key.

Mine worked 90% of the time at cruise speeds or below. The only issue was in rough water or once the boat aired out; it took settling back into smoother water or slowing down for it to “catch its own signal” again.

I also like knowing the depth finder is a fair amount forward of the drives. If I am inching up to a beach, it’s golden to have that puck 15-20 feet ahead of the drives vs. in the bilge.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:54 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Active Thunder places them about mid-ship, in front of the step; down at the keel; literally the lowest point in the hull, just off to the starboard side on the flat surface. This is key.

Mine worked 90% of the time at cruise speeds or below. The only issue was in rough water or once the boat aired out; it took settling back into smoother water or slowing down for it to “catch its own signal” again.

I also like knowing the depth finder is a fair amount forward of the drives. If I am inching up to a beach, it’s golden to have that puck 15-20 feet ahead of the drives vs. in the bilge.
Is the ActiveThunder cored up front too?
The Hustler is cut out for the Transducer where the puck in now, I think mine is cored up front to

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Strip,
Mine is the same, never worked at speed, THEN, it stop working about a year ago...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Is the ActiveThunder cored up front too?
The Hustler is cut out for the Transducer where the puck in now, I think mine is cored up front to
No, AT is solid fiberglass on the bottom of the boat.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Not to derail, but can you give me a quick rundown on the setup? Power,drive, speeds, strake work? I’m pretty sure I’ve read through a few of your re-powers if I’m not mistaken.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

NorTech does the same. It is mounted under the head up in the cabin in the CCs forward of the steps. Although you lose the signal at times, it seems to work more consistently than implementations I've had in the engine compartment.