Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Ilmor High Performance Marine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ilmor-high-performance-marine-279/)
-   -   Ilmor Info (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ilmor-high-performance-marine/348289-ilmor-info.html)

RBeyer 07-09-2017 11:38 PM

Ilmor Info

I'm looking at a HTM Cat with an Ilmor. Can anyone give some input regarding hours of longevity, maintenance, things to look for or run from?

Marginmn 07-12-2017 10:57 AM

They don't have an ecm that tracks hours so there is no way to scan for hours. It's common for peeps to get 500+ hours on a set without issue. They are very fuel effecient compared to the Merc engines I've run. Basically run the piss out of them, change the oil, impellers, and nothing else cept maybe on spark plug change until you rebuild them at 500+ hours. CMI makes the headers so while they do not have the poor reputation of the 525 headers I would personally demand any engine I buy have the headers pressure checked as part of the deal. Cost a couple hundred buck but could save you tens of thousands in rebuilds if they have been leaking. Overall very dependable packages. If you have a 570 or 625 they are easily up-gradable to 710's (725's) when you rebuild them, but once you do there is nothing more you can do to upgrade them from there. Good people to work with.

RBeyer 07-12-2017 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 4568447)
They don't have an ecm that tracks hours so there is no way to scan for hours. It's common for peeps to get 500+ hours on a set without issue. They are very fuel effecient compared to the Merc engines I've run. Basically run the piss out of them, change the oil, impellers, and nothing else cept maybe on spark plug change until you rebuild them at 500+ hours. CMI makes the headers so while they do not have the poor reputation of the 525 headers I would personally demand any engine I buy have the headers pressure checked as part of the deal. Cost a couple hundred buck but could save you tens of thousands in rebuilds if they have been leaking. Overall very dependable packages. If you have a 570 or 625 they are easily up-gradable to 710's (725's) when you rebuild them, but once you do there is nothing more you can do to upgrade them from there. Good people to work with.

Great info thank you!

adamseraphine 07-13-2017 07:04 PM

I have twin Gen 4 725's with Indy drives. The above comment about hours and maintenance is about right. Mine does track hours though.

There's really only a couple guys that have extensive knowledge of the higher power Ilmor product. The best in my opinion is AJ Barrett with Barrett Custom Marine in Lake Havasu City. He does the work on my boat and has saved me a couple times. Call him, chances are he's familiar with the boat if it spent its previous life on the west coast.

The only problem with Ilmor is that while they were (or are) innovators, they made some design decisions that have bit them, and therefore their customers, in the ass. Having said that, none of those design "flaws" would keep me away from the product. Much of these "flaws" are in relation to the Indy drive. They should have just copied the Merc #6 instead of re-inventing the wheel.

RBeyer 07-14-2017 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by adamseraphine (Post 4568818)
I have twin Gen 4 725's with Indy drives. The above comment about hours and maintenance is about right. Mine does track hours though.

There's really only a couple guys that have extensive knowledge of the higher power Ilmor product. The best in my opinion is AJ Barrett with Barrett Custom Marine in Lake Havasu City. He does the work on my boat and has saved me a couple times. Call him, chances are he's familiar with the boat if it spent its previous life on the west coast.

The only problem with Ilmor is that while they were (or are) innovators, they made some design decisions that have bit them, and therefore their customers, in the ass. Having said that, none of those design "flaws" would keep me away from the product. Much of these "flaws" are in relation to the Indy drive. They should have just copied the Merc #6 instead of re-inventing the wheel.

This is the boat, the Bravo XR drive also makes me a bit nervous at that HP even though it is a light boat.

2000 HTM SR24 Midcabin ? Grand Sport Center

Trippin 09-14-2017 07:59 AM

Product support is still available through Ilmor and various service centers for the V-10's however it is becoming less and less popular. They have since replaced the V-10's with the GM base engine 7.4L iron block and made their own modifications to it, that being the MV8 570, coupled with a Teague or IMCO. Personally I think the V-10 engine package was a well thought out and designed power plant and a sweet option for our market. Not to mention it was easy to work on and parts are fairly easy to find. I consider it a loss for it to be gone. Diversity and options make a great boat even better.