Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Marine Finance 101 - What is a boat loan? >

Marine Finance 101 - What is a boat loan?

Notices

Marine Finance 101 - What is a boat loan?

Old 12-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Marine Finance 101 - What is a boat loan?

Great Post................
Old 12-12-2006, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post Dave!!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered

You need to interview your surveyor to determine that he's familiar enough with the type of craft you're looking at, to make you comfortable...simple as that! The accreditations listed after you prospective suveyor's name would indicate training and experience in a variety of areas including hull construction & design, repair, and systems(plumbing and electrical). You still need to ask questions; some suveyors also specialize in a particular discipline...I.E. forensic, repair, insurance, and pre-purchase surveys.
Hugh
Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
You need to interview your surveyor to determine that he's familiar enough with the type of craft you're looking at, to make you comfortable...simple as that! The accreditations listed after you prospective suveyor's name would indicate training and experience in a variety of areas including hull construction & design, repair, and systems(plumbing and electrical). You still need to ask questions; some suveyors also specialize in a particular discipline...I.E. forensic, repair, insurance, and pre-purchase surveys.
Hugh
VERY true HP VERY true!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by DaveP
What is a boat loan?
I thought is was an agreement to pay back money borrowed for a hole in the H2O, now I'm confused
Old 12-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by hpoffshore
Hugh

Hugh, do you do surveys?
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM
Registered

So lets say I'm in a boat loan now. If I sell it or want to trade it in, what are the risks that the bank will not refinance me for another boat? Im only talking a $30k difference in price. My credit has not gone down. Score wise it has gone up. Debt wise it has gone down. (Home purchase vs. renting)
Is it possible to get pre-approved for a boat loan?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaOne
So lets say I'm in a boat loan now. If I sell it or want to trade it in, what are the risks that the bank will not refinance me for another boat? Im only talking a $30k difference in price. My credit has not gone down. Score wise it has gone up. Debt wise it has gone down. (Home purchase vs. renting)
I got preapproved at Wells Fargo before I bought my boat a few years ago. I was more exploring my financing options and rates. Since a lot of it is dependant on your credit score, they just did the paperwork and approved me. I was not sure if I was going to buy the boat, so the offer/terms were good for 30 days.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FormulaOne

Pre-approval is the best way to go. Go to www.essexcredit.com to get pre-approved within 24hrs.

If you buy after getting preapproved - GREAT
If you do not buy - that is ok too and you are obligated for NOTHING.
Old 12-24-2006, 07:32 AM
Registered

Great Post Dave,

What about finiance inquireys?
Example. I was going to purchase my first boat. I wanted a 10 yr loan. One bank tried and said they would only give me 5 another said nope to long of a loan for a 1995 boat. etc...
I finally ended up with a bank that does so they call it BOAT loans-ultimately Bank of amer.
He ran my credit said no problem. 10 yrs.
I asked him about the other declines I had and he said yes they showed up....Credit inquires.
How much do they hit my credit score?

Thanks
Dennis

Quick Reply: Marine Finance 101 - What is a boat loan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.