Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Insurance and Finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance-198/)
-   -   Hurricane Plan? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance/193424-hurricane-plan.html)

LostCowboy 08-18-2008 12:53 PM

Hurricane Plan?

My new boat is due for delivery in early September and will be kept behind my home (on the water) in Ft Lauderdale. Sy says I need a "hurricane plan". Can anyone tell me what that would include? Also, any references you migh recommend in the Ft Lauderdale area would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

cigracing1 08-18-2008 01:26 PM

A plan of action incase of a hurricane. For example many of the yachts head up New River in Lauderdale for protection and depending on the size of your new boat it can be taken out of the water and strapped down. They want to know that when the hurricane comes your not going to just leave your boat sitting there and then have the Insurance Company pick up the tab. Depending on who your with the will reimburse you for what action you do take.

Where's your house and what boat did you get? Phil told me but i can't remember. I'm flying down Thursday to splash the Fire Fox.

Regards,

Cigracing1
Colin

WakezoneINS 08-18-2008 03:50 PM

Actual Hurricane Form/Plan attached

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the plan that my clients use with my program. Basically, the carrier wants to know that you have a plan in the event of a hurricane and that you're going to take all measures possible to protect your boat from damage. This is required ESPECIALLY when you have a carrier that includes named windstorm coverage.

LostCowboy 08-21-2008 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by cigracing1 (Post 2656360)
A plan of action incase of a hurricane. For example many of the yachts head up New River in Lauderdale for protection and depending on the size of your new boat it can be taken out of the water and strapped down. They want to know that when the hurricane comes your not going to just leave your boat sitting there and then have the Insurance Company pick up the tab. Depending on who your with the will reimburse you for what action you do take.

Where's your house and what boat did you get? Phil told me but i can't remember. I'm flying down Thursday to splash the Fire Fox.

Regards,

Cigracing1
Colin

New boat is 37 Intrepid (cuddy). Thought we'd try fishing, diving and exploring for a while and it will be nice having it in the water behind the house. We're on 12th CT in Ft Lauderdale just down the canal from Lauderdale Yatch Club.
good luck with Fire Fox! That should be some good fun.

Wake Zone, thank you for your response. I would want to move the boat to a yard. I guess you just call around in advance or do you have to rent a spot year-round to insure availability of a spot?

Wozencraft 08-26-2008 01:50 PM

Developing a hurricane plan

Progressive Insurance put together a comprehensive and well thought out training video about developing a hurricane plan. This video was a partnership effort with US Coast Guard, Florida Sea Grant, FEMA, and Florida Division of Disaster Management. There are also checklists which will help you through the plan development (depending upon your boat's location.)

http://www.progressiveagent.com/wate...ane-video.aspx

Progressive knows a thing or two about hurricanes. After the hurricane seasons of 2004 and 2005, Progressive didn't non-renew nor cancel any policies. Further, they didn't exit the state like almost all the other carriers. The Underwriter at Progressive told me that in the aftermath of the 2004/2005 hurricanes, 75% of all claims were PAID within 30 days after landfall (that's thousands of boats!)

Devin Wozencraft
www.wozencraftinsurance.com

Dean Ferry 10-01-2008 12:13 PM

Our hurricane plan it take to boats off the lifts, on to the trailers, and store them @ Mystic Powerboats 45 miles inland from the coast.
Dean