Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Insurance and Finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance-198/)
-   -   engine (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance/279775-engine.html)

12meter joe 07-01-2012 12:32 PM

engine

are engines typically covered under boat insurance? overheating, loss of oil presure, ect.....

WakezoneINS 07-01-2012 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by 12meter joe (Post 3721359)
are engines typically covered under boat insurance? overheating, loss of oil presure, ect.....

Huge "depends". Depends on if it is the primary cause of loss or if it is a result of a covered cause of loss. But, in majority of cases "no", mechanical breakdown, engine seizure etc are excluded losses. Every policy differs slightly when it comes to exclusions with respects the the physical damage of engines. I would suggest taking a peek at your policy and then going from there. I've had engine losses both covered and excluded, the coverage determination always comes down to what specifically caused the engine damage.

12meter joe 07-01-2012 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by WakezoneINS (Post 3721545)
Huge "depends". Depends on if it is the primary cause of loss or if it is a result of a covered cause of loss. But, in majority of cases "no", mechanical breakdown, engine seizure etc are excluded losses. Every policy differs slightly when it comes to exclusions with respects the the physical damage of engines. I would suggest taking a peek at your policy and then going from there. I've had engine losses both covered and excluded, the coverage determination always comes down to what specifically caused the engine damage.

Thank you for the info

ROB FREEMAN 07-02-2012 05:41 PM

ran ashore and sucked up dirt .. overheated ..ruined engine .. hint

jwp51 07-05-2012 08:10 AM

If the engine needs to be replaced, let me know. We have a wide selection of re-built engines that are ready to ship (depending on the HP) and we do warranty them as well.
We also have new engines as well.

Jim

baywatch 07-13-2012 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by 12meter joe (Post 3721359)

Would be nice if they had a rider on our policies for incompetant builders/assembly.. LOL..

WakezoneINS 07-13-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 3729097)
Would be nice if they had a rider on our policies for incompetant builders/assembly.. LOL..

something similar is available and it's FREE to you!

If you make sure BEFORE you choose to build or allow someone to repair your engines that your builder has product liability insurance coverage in force then if they have a mfg defect or builder error then you have a policy to fall back on. You can make a claim against their insurance.

troper 07-13-2012 04:34 PM

Hi Stacy,
What if the company does some work to your boat and screws up, but does not want to give you their insurance information? What recourse do we have. I do have a policy with you thru AM.

baywatch 07-14-2012 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by troper (Post 3729545)
Hi Stacy,
What if the company does some work to your boat and screws up, but does not want to give you their insurance information? What recourse do we have. I do have a policy with you thru AM.

I'm obviously not Stacy, but
I'd say that if they dont take responsibility when the work performed was clearly not congruent with that of a reasonable prudent marine technician that would be when you hand it off to your legal counsel (I'm confident they should be able to supoena the policy information). Even though it will cost you some more coin to get your legal team involved oftentimes it is worth it knowing full well you are inundating them with a mountain of legal bills that may ultimately end up with a settlement in your favor. You also have the option of utilizing the court of public opinion which can cost a service center much more than the combination of legal bills and settlement. Good luck, it's a bummer when your boat is broke but it really sucks when a trusted service center blatantly screws up.

WakezoneINS 07-15-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by troper (Post 3729545)
Hi Stacy,

Well since your insurance policy would exclude this you cannot rely on them to pursue and subrogate so you would need to then take matters into your own hands. I have had this happen before and after some pretty threatening phone calls and letters from a marine attorney, the repai person handed over their insurance info.

You can however avoid the potential extra cot of demand letters by being an informed consumer from the start. Before you turn your oat over to a mechanic you need to ask them for a currently dated certificate of liability insurance that lists you as the certificate holder. Doing this will ensure that they have current insurance in force. They should carry "ship repairers legal liability" , general liability that includes products and completed operations.

Hope this helps.